Pistons have coolant ***help***

-
Thank you all for your insight!!! I was initially worried and couldn't find anything on the web that would give instructions or peace of mind. You guys are awsome!!!

This is where a wet dry vac is your best friend. Like the other said this happens and isn't the of the world it just needs cleaned up and if its going to sit oil the cylinders and deck surface.
Thanks, will do.

I always leave the old coolant and oil in the engine when I do a head gasket. Changing fluids after the job is done carries all the bits of gasket material and gunk out with them.

I always mop up as much coolant as I can out of the cylinders with rags, roll the motor over to bring all the pistons to TDC to dump as much the rest over the side, then spray the cylinder walls liberally with WD-40 (WD = water displacement, what this stuff is actually for) and then wipe the cylinder walls with a clean rag.

Never had a problem with this method.

Instead of removing the block-plugs (pita), I remove the two long lower bolts from the waterpump that go into the waterjackets (one on each side). This lowers the coolant in the block sufficiently.
And Yes you need to crank the engine each way from where it is, just far enough to mop up the coolant that was stuck in the crevice above the top ring. Several times, back and forth will get most of it.
Later, when refilling the cooling system, I fill into the thermostat housing until it comes up in there. Then install the stat etc., and finally top up the rad. This ensures no air is trapped anywhere, and takes no extra time. Well a little cuz if you are not careful some will overflow onto the intake, so after you get it all bolted up you have to splash some clear water on it. No biggie....... unless you have an AirGap,lol.
The rest is the same as mentioned.
Crack the drainplug and let out the coolant.
Warm her up and oil change time including filter.

Here's a bit of trivia you might not know, ethylene-glycol from the jug will burn if you light it with an open flame. It ain't all that happy to perform this trick, but it does burn.

I bet 50 guys are running out to the garage right now, to prove me wrong,lol.

Last edited:
-
Back