Pitman arm install questions

-

BarelyaV-8

Reaction score
So I removed my old pitman arm to replace it and I didn't mark the gear box or the old arm the steering wheel has since moved how do I center this to make sure the alignment isn't too far off? Does anyone have an idea of step by step to get it back in the right location?

Simple .........center the box. Center the wheels. Install the arm. It only goes one way every 90 degrees, if memory serves, and if you get it 1/4 turn off, YOU WILL know it LOL

Simple .........center the box. Center the wheels. Install the arm. It only goes one way every 90 degrees, if memory serves, and if you get it 1/4 turn off, YOU WILL know it LOL

turn the steering box all the way one way...then count the number of turns to get all the way the other way....center the steering box...

point the wheels straight...like said...it will obvious if it is off 90 degrees...

Problem is I'm doing a complete rebuild there's no tie rod ends or adjuster sleeves on I tore the entire front of the car out and am now in the process of putting it back together. So there's no wheels on the car either I just got the front suspension back in as in lower controls arms on and all.

So center the box, put the pitman on so it points straight ahead.....................

Problem is I'm doing a complete rebuild there's no tie rod ends or adjuster sleeves on I tore the entire front of the car out and am now in the process of putting it back together. So there's no wheels on the car either I just got the front suspension back in as in lower controls arms on and all.

So, do it the SAME WAY as outlined.

on your tie rods...count the number of turns that each end takes to be removed....that way your tie rods will be close.. with the tie rods close ...wheels straight ahead...steering boxed centerd...piece of cake for the pitman are...the idler arm is a no brainer too...

-
Back