Pivot ball bracket for a ‘68 Dart

-

FlamesAreWicked

Reaction score
So I completed my 4spd swap in my 68 Dart. I plan on making a post about that separate of this but.. could I make a 20ish mile drive before it gets welded on to the rail? It’s a diaphragm McLoed rated for 400hp so it’s not a super heavy duty clutch.. I just need to transport it from a friends house to my house. Def not ideal but.. I didn’t wanna have to tow it. The buddy who helped me doesn’t now how to weld and neither do I. Once I get it home I can bribe someone to come pit some fire on it..it’s bolted into place

So the support bracket is bolted in place? Like through nut and bolted or something like a large sheet metal screws?

I bolted an entire frame for a pickup truck together and pulled it 30 miles to a friend's house to be welded.

You can do the same thing.

Also you can probably drive the distance with minimal number of clutch engagements.

On a side note.. while I’m glad the 4spd swap is done.. I will say this, I won’t do another :BangHead:. It was a learning experience to say the least

If you install this the large nut will hold it together until you can weld it. It Justs prevents you from sinking into the apron without it. Drill and add a few steel pop rivets where your going to weld it in the meantime. JMO
1727865444720.png

What he ^ said.

If you want to Tim Taylor it... You could cut a piece of pipe with the same ID as the hole.

Drill out the outer frame rail to the pipe OD.

Cut the pipe so it is flush with the outer frame rail when inserted in the hole.

Then bolt it all together.

When you go to weld it in. Weld the pipe to the outer reinforcement plate then I sert the assy into the hole in the frame and weld it in.

Now no matter how tight you sinch the pivot ball bolt down you can not crush the frame.

Hmm some good ideas.. I may do the rivet fix just to be on the safe side to get it home.. it’s not far but there will be a handful of intersections I’ll encounter where I may not be able to squeak through to minimize the need to shift

-
Back