Placement of floorjack to lift a '65 Dart?

-

53ryder

Reaction score
Need to jack up the rear end on my 65 Dart so I can remove the gas tank. Want to put jackstands under the rear. Not sure where to place floor jack to lift the back end high enough? Any ideas?

Yes Steve...I looked in the service manual but have yet to see anything about where the jack points are!

Glenn

Do you have jack stands? What kind of a jack do you have? A hydraulic floor jack or a hydraulic bottle jack? I have a full sized hydraulic floor jack and I put it under the rear end and jack the whole *** end up at once. Then I put jack stands on the front spring mounts. If you have a 7 1/4 rear you may want to jack up one side at a time. If you jack it up in the middle, you may bend the rear end cover. tmm

Not sure how to tell what size the rear end is? Where do I measure from? What to what?

Glenn

Not sure how to tell what size the rear end is? Where do I measure from? What to what?

Glenn

If the back end of the housing it's a 7 1/4 If the housing is cast and smooth, it is a 8 3/4. Wait, any of you guys have a 8 3/4 in your 65's from the factory? tmm

Just jack it up and put stands underneath so it is safe. Under the axle ends is good or under the front spring mounts if you want the rear end to hang down for clearance. Just be safe and careful. tmm

To replace the gas tank, I would rather back it onto car ramps, if you have. I am always leery climbing under with just jack stands. For backup I use 4"x4" wood blocks in a lattice under the frame rails and store the tire under the frame rail for added safety.

-
Back