Planning a 440+6 tow vehicle, need a plan

-
Some good inputs, thanks fellas.
I looked up the weight of the jeep liberty mentioned. It is not a vintage vehicle but I could get a compareable number being it is more modern.
The liberty weighs 42-4300 lbs and your travel trailer
is 2300 lbs. Sounds like you liked the way it worked out.
These weights do line up closely to my DeSoto and the smaller 17ft airstream.
As for the 1/2 ton Shorty's, I really like the utiline
beds like on the little red express and the 64 orangy
posted. That truck is great looking.
I do still have a 86 shorty I put that style of bed on.
I installed a 440 in mine with 23 spline 833. Still has the 9 1/4 sure grip axle and the tow package springs it was born with.
I really like the truck but I have found all the dodge pickup frames I have or had came with a lot of flex in them. They twist with the engine torque. I believe it is because they are not boxed and are the ladder style. First drive after I installed the 440
the fan got into the shroud. This was with a solid steel engine mount on the driver side like I use on all
my mopars. Plays havoc with the clutch linkage some.
I don't get this twist or clutch problems with the boxed DeSoto frame or the frame connected A body.
I have towed a car trailer with my shorty truck a couple times. It did OK but I didn't think it did great. Probably just to light being a shorty. I did have a 1953 M37 military power wagon on the trailer in the trucks defence. I was likely over loaded an with no trailer brakes it wanted to push some.

if has to wonder what the frames were on the 60's 3/4 t. D200???? thinking years back, chevy had their " camper special" seems it was a 3/4 t.
I admit I bought a new '76 1 t. chevy crew cab 454 , that is what we pulled with. I had a 3/4 t. 75 chevy single cab 454 right before that. the dual wheel 1 t. truck was much more stable, bigger brakes, just a much better rig to pull a big steel 4 horse gooseneck.
best pullin truc k I built was a chevy C65 ( 2 2/2 t?) 427, 5 speed, 2 speed axle. added a sleeper box and built a custom bed, circa 1983. no days horse people consider that med duty!! ha
I know there are clubs where people buy these old campers, rebuild them, pull them with vintage vehicles, and meet at " what ever they call it" camping things. you might be able to find such here on the net. would be interesting to get some of their experiences with all this!!!

that what i did on the 60 d100 inner fender exit , the 64 d100 is getting a modified set up i ran on another . also the rear spring package is a bit weak to the weight . i build up the rears for the handling as well

DSC07286.JPG

DSC07290.JPG

DSC03275.JPG

DSC03278.JPG

DSC03712.JPG

I looked up the weight of the jeep liberty mentioned. It is not a vintage vehicle but I could get a compareable number being it is more modern.
The liberty weighs 42-4300 lbs and your travel trailer
is 2300 lbs. Sounds like you liked the way it worked out.

You're welcome. Yes, the Liberty's weight would be comparable to several of the vintage vehicles you would prefer to use. I hope things work out well for you with your project.

-
Back