Plasma cutter troubles...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Been working on my Reverse Flow smoker, cutting .250" plates for the firebox. Replaced the tip/electrode cutting like a champ. Have the amperage turned all the way up. Hooked to my compressor, never drops below a regulated 100 psi. After making 20' or so of cuts it flat out struggles to blast thru. I am not moving any faster than I was earlier. Noticed when the struggle starts the tip has a small amount of slag built up on it. Replacement tips are a bit pricey, unless you use the overseas parts. Any suggestions?

Probably should add that the plate is new. Has been sitting on my trailer for a couple of months. Has some very light surface rust on it. I wire wheel where ever I am going to cut.

Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice....

No expert, but...when you start your cut, make sure the tip isn't pointed straight down, should be angled (messes up the tip, otherwise) - the torches I've seen have the nozzle bent so if the handle is level, the tip is kicked out at the right angle.

Just keep it parallel to the material you're cutting and you shouldn't have the blowback problem, then

Ink what kind of plasma is it? Also are you running any kind of air drier on the input to the machine. Sounds like there may be moisture in the line

Ink what kind of plasma is it? Also are you running any kind of air drier on the input to the machine. Sounds like there may be moisture in the line

Thermal Dynamics. No air dryer, water drained just prior to me using the cutte, there is hardly ever water when I drain it. Pretty much only in the cooler months.

-
Back