Plasma or LCD?

If you were going to get a flatscreen what would you get?

• Plasma

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • LCD

Votes: 72 79.1%

• Total voters
-
That's a good question.I wondered about that myself and then they came out with LED so now I have no clue.As far as picture quality goes I think they are similar.I don't know about longevity tho. I have a DLP,it's been good for 4 years now,while a friends bulb crapped out after 3 years. Was looking to but bout a 32" but don't know which way to go either,just know that i want 1080P to go with my Blu Ray player.8)

LCD, you lay a plasma down you can just throw it out, it will be junk after that.

I'm always thinking the plasmas picture is so much brighter whenever I'm in the electronics store.However I bought a 1080p lcd tv over a year ago and have no regrets.I'm still constantly amazed by the picture quality .:-D

LCD hands down they have same picture quality, but the plasma's are notorious for burning out after a year or two. I have a 52"Sony LCD in the living room and a 46" Sony LCD in my bedroom and I love the LCD TV'S.The LCD's are suppose to last forever it's been 4 years and no problems and picture still looks like the day I bought it.

LCD hands down,hang it on the wall!I have a 42 inch with a 1000 watt home theater,watching thrillers get ready to catch the popcorn bowl.Yikes!!

I've had 58" Panasonic plasma for more then 2 years. Best choice I could have made. Never heard about them crapping out.... I heard 5000 hours.

Samsung LCD, (from Sears).
I had a Sony LCD, the Samsung is way better. Your eyes will need to adjust to the picture though, I think I spent the first week in tears. Don't skimp on the cables, get a quality HDMI.

Plasmas do have a reputation for burning out, and being hot and noisy; get up close to one at the store and you will see.

Also, check the view from the sides, you should still be able to see the picture on a good tv.

Be ready to haggle for a good price, and to walk away.

Last but not least, get the warranty!

Plasma is supposedly the "top dog" because it runs at 600 hertz. Clear picture for sporting events or action movies. They also come in the biggest screens. They are also very good for viewing from any angle not just straight on. Plasmas also throw off quite a bit of heat. They will also have pixels burn out. But to be warrantied, they have to have so many pixels burnt out within a certain viewing area of the tv.

When LCD came out they operated at 60 hertz. A year or so ago they were up to 120 hertz. While checking out tv's at a local store I asked what the difference was between 60 and 120. They put on a hockey game and told me to watch the crowd in the background while the camera swung across the rink. With the 60 hertz tv, the crowd was a blur. Much clearer on the 120 hertz tv. Now LCD tv's are up to 240 hertz. Even better but you'll pay more for the faster speed. LCD's used to be poor from viewing the tv at an angle. The newer LCD's are much better for off angle viewing.

LED tv? It's still an LCD but the backlight is now LEDs instead of fluorescent tubes. That allows LED tvs to be much thinner than a normal LCD tv.

This summer the salesman kept pushing me to buy a Panasonic Plasma. I've never had any luck with anything Panasonic. He would put on test patterns on the plasma and the LCD tvs. He then stated that the colours are more true on the plasma and were more "neon like" on the LCD. But when viewing an actual movie, I liked what I saw from the LED alot better. Look at both and go with what you see better.

My personal fav is the Samsung Series 8, 55" LED. http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/led/UN55B8000XFXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail but it ain't cheap. And my current 55" rear projection Toshiba is 10 years old and the convergence chips are shot. It's like watching a 3d movie without the glasses.

Wylde1.

The one we liked was a 52" Sony LCD.
I will never pay money for anything that has the name Sylvania on it, their quality control is worse than Barry Grant and Weiand put together!

I have both. Picture quality is about the same. The Plasma is a 50" in my loft and gets really hot. I'm getting rid of it, so I'd recommend LCD. Plus, like others said, plasmas are less reliable.

We had nothing but tube-type Mitsubishi tv's for years and finally bit the bullet and bought a Vizio LCD a couple of years ago when thought the Mitsu finally broke down. Love the Vizio.

Europe is contemplating banned Plasma's because of their power draw. If all of Europe(I believe it's all of europe) got plasma's and had them all on at once they would need 6 new power stations for the amount of power draw.

I think the picture is about equal but I prefer the LCD. As previousally stated. The power consumption is not even close, during an electrical survey from Edison the technician recommended the LCD for lower power consumption.

LCD. We have a Mitsubishi 42" 120HZ, huge difference from the 60HZ, was worth a few hundred more for me and the missus.

Sony LED all the way-far better than LCD or Plasma

Plasma does have better colour quality over LCD and they have vastly improved the technology so they don't ghost anymore. LCD will have dead pixels. BUT LED ALL THE WAY!!!! IF you can afford it.

As for power, they did a study and I think the Un has a study and 170000 square kms of solar power would power the world-no more crap in the oceans and air from coal and no more nuclear. I think they said an area in Australia where there is almost no rain could do it. Would be great. personally I am waiting till plugs and wires are obsolete and everything is wireless. No more mess.

I bought the LG 55" LED LCD 240hz TV back in September and love it. The difference in the original LCD's and the newer "LED" sets is they are both LCD TV's, just the old ones use a fluorescent back-lighting, while the newer LED sets use an array of LED's for back-lighting, Much brighter, better power consumption, and longer life of the back-lighting lights.

Where I work, we repair LCD monitors for computers, and the biggest problem is the fluorescent bulbs going dead.

FF

Samsung LCD, (from Sears).
I had a Sony LCD, the Samsung is way better. Your eyes will need to adjust to the picture though, I think I spent the first week in tears. Don't skimp on the cables, get a quality HDMI.

Someone at Best Buy said that Samsung and Sony are made in the same Factory?

We have a Samsung and Sony LCD both are have very nice pictures. The Sony is a LCD projection and the Samsung is a LCD Flat screen. These TV's are so cheap anymore it's crazy.

83" DLP Mitsu TV rear projection, really piss President O and the DLP in this top end set looks as good as if not better than any LCD or plasma, However, if you have big $$s and they are going fast and going to be discontinued. Pioneers big screens at over $5000+ are awesome sets.

But LCD is best bang for buck in up to mid 50" sizes.

-
Back