Plastic glue

-

abodybill

Reaction score
Well i had a perfect grille for my 71 demon but i was moving a box and hit the middle tab and it snapped it off.

What i need to know is whats a good glue to repair the plastic in the grilles?

thanks,
bill

On my grill I broke some mounting tabs. I fixed it with a slice sheetmetall from behind, regular glue like patex and some rivets. Works when you cant see the spots from outside...

Just repaired the grill on the fish this week. Had a crack about about three inches long, (sorry Adam), on the inside radius of one corner.

I embeded, from behind, a small strip of sheet metal into a two part plastic epoxy mixture, then filled the crack with same the next day.

Finished it off with a bit of body filler...looks perfect.

Then I masked off both grills...started applying my Argent Silver... the paint all bubbled and cracked. :evil: It must have reacted with a different paint type from underneath. Spent all this week getting them down to the plastic again. Now they look terrific! :D

Didn't mean to ramble...but if you reinforce the thab some how, it should hold...don't think gluing the joint alone will do much.

Hope you had better luck tha I did.

hey no ramble i just was mad as its a perfect grille and i had nobody around not even the dog to blame.

on the 1 side its flat but on the other side it has a rib on the mounting tab.

so if the metals put on the flat side and using the 2 part plastic glue it would hold up?

thanks,bill

Hi Tony,
is there any brand better then the other or do you have a brand that you know will do the job?

thanks,bill

abodybill said:
Hi Tony,
is there any brand better then the other or do you have a brand that you know will do the job?

thanks,bill

I use a 2 part epoxy you can find in any hardware store. I don't
have any on hand to tell you the name.
It comes in a double barrel syringe epoxy and hardener you pump
it on a sheet and mix together.
Make sure its for plastic and it comes in different drying times.
Do not get the fastest drying.
Note: Always pump some out at first and discard. the next batch will
dispense more evenly :thumrigh:

Duramix is the best I've found. I glue broken mounting tabs back onto these composite headlights with it all the time

-
Back