Plate missing from Xmission Bell housing?

-

Jim McLain

Reaction score
Here's a good one for you. I have been working a 75 Dart Sport, 225 ci, slant 6, Auto, and I climbed under yesterday to see how accessible the oil pan would be without having to lift the engine.
I noticed the toothed gear of my torque converter just staring me in the face, pretty as you please, with a number of empty bolt holes.
Is there supposed to be a removable access plate there? Sure looks weird, and I have no experience with transmissions, except replacing fluid and filters.

Thoughts?

Yes there is a galvanized plate that covers up that portion of the bell housing. There are Trans specific so must know whether 904 or 727, most likely 904 if bottom pan is almost squareish.I don't know if the 6 bell housing plate is compatible with the V8 plate. I'll see if they are and let you know later.

It looks like plate for 6 is not interchangeable with V8 plate. I just bought a new one for 727 small block, but don't see them listed for 6. Maybe someone here has one available.

20180906_124459.jpg
This is what it would look like. /6. The small one goes under the starter.I have some laying around if you want to replace yours.

Some people seem to think that that dust cover is no big deal, but if you get a rock kicked up in there, you'll know why it's supposed to be there. The time and energy expended to fix the damage that can be caused weighed against that missing nickel-dime item is unreal. Kudos to RRAL for offering up one.

Just took a peek at mine. It is the "squarish" pan as Tony suggested, so I'm figuring a 904.

How much are asking for the plate, Al? And would you be able to get an idea on the shipping? I wouldn't even know where to look for one online.

r/ Jim

Little help? I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. My transmission has the "squarish" pan on it, so I'm thinking it's a 904, but the access cover advertised online for the 904 looks nothing like my opening. The one Al posted looks like it would fit nicely. I'm assuming it's for a 727?

So my question is am I just off base, or is there more to this transmission than I'm seeing? It is original to the car (matching numbers and all).

Thanks for educating me on this.

R/ Jim

Little help? I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. My transmission has the "squarish" pan on it, so I'm thinking it's a 904, but the access cover advertised online for the 904 looks nothing like my opening. The one Al posted looks like it would fit nicely. I'm assuming it's for a 727?

So my question is am I just off base, or is there more to this transmission than I'm seeing? It is original to the car (matching numbers and all).

Thanks for educating me on this.

R/ Jim
Pictures of parts online don't always look correct. It's extremely unlikely that your car has a 727 behind the slant 6. Here are pictures of a 904 pan and a 727 pan. 727 is on the left

727.jpg
904.jpg

Once you identify what trans you have I'd bet that if you place a want ad in the parts wanted section that someone will have a plate for sale cheap

Just took a peek at mine. It is the "squarish" pan as Tony suggested, so I'm figuring a 904.

How much are asking for the plate, Al? And would you be able to get an idea on the shipping? I wouldn't even know where to look for one online.

r/ Jim
P M coming

-
Back