Play in steering wheel

-

KJoeZ61

Reaction score
Okay I checked everything out on the front end for my 3" inches of play. The wheel turns freely apx. 3' left to right without doing anything. It's where the shaft goes into the coupler that there is that much play. Is this normal? I did replace the guts in the coupler already.

Typically, it's where the steering shaft goes into the coupler. I fabricated two half shell brass shims and inserted them into the coupler in order to reduce the play. Worked out great! 65'

Typically, it's where the steering shaft goes into the coupler. I fabricated two half shell brass shims and inserted them into the coupler in order to reduce the play. Worked out great! 65'
Any pictures?

Jake

Yes the play is where the shaft goes into the coupler. And I did replace the guts in the coupler a few months ago. What did you shim between inside the coupler? I wonder what wears more the shaft or the coupler?

I don't understand at all.
Is this a manual or power car?
Lots of play is not normal in any case to me.
3 inches of wheel turn might be good if manual.
You can do that.
If it's manual there is inflammation on here about simply servicing the whole box.
With pictures I posted.
There is an adjustment on top to take out the slack.
If it is power someone else will need to help out.
I don't fool with those.

Where the column shaft goes into the coupler. I took a pair of channel locks and braced the coupler using the exhaust manifold to brace the pliers, my wife rotated the wheel left to right and back. We have 3'' of play. This really has nothing to do with anything else, everything below the coupler appears fine. This is defiantly a shaft/coupler issue.

I didn't take any pictures of the half shell shims. I just took a sheet of brass shim stock and cut it to length in order to fit inside of the coupler. The coupler is rectangular, I bent the shims in a vice using a hammer so they fit snug inside the coupler. Then I inserted the steering shaft with grease. There is no play between the coupler and steering shaft now! 65'

Sounds like you assembled the parts wrong inside the coupler. There should be basically zero play

Pretty sure I put it together correctly, but I am wondering if the eBay parts were junk? Could the coupler body be bad? For a P.S. car they are $300.00

-
Back