please get some header advice 67 dart gt

-

ss67gtsdart

Reaction score
hello i am having trouble with some headers i have they will not fit the power steering is in the way there cheap no name set i was told will fit with ps but they will not .had engine foot in the air banged with sledge hammer cannot get to sit flat due to ps so i assume there manual steering headers.so i am in need of some headers that will fit.i have a 67 dart with a 73 scamp k frame with a 318 with power steering.i really do not want stock manifolds please suggestions on what will fit.thank you

Doug's so you know what shapes they conform / fit around

20230203_013330.jpg

20230203_013609.jpg

If your 318 has a stock cam in it and the car is for street use, as in 3.23 gears with a low-stall convertor :
headers will not make much if any noticeable power gain.
This is because the 318 will spend most of it's life at low rpm.
If you are going for balls-out fuel economy, longtubes might make a barely measurable difference....... but you will NEVER in the life of the headers, recover the cost of a TTI/Dougs system.
My advice is put logs on it, and if you can afford them, get the 340 logs with a free-flowing exhaust; duals optional.

But to answer your question
TTIs fit almost perfectly on my SBM*, in my 68 Barracuda, with either trans*, and WITH power steering.
However, I did convert the steering to 73-up, to put the idler arm nut in a slightly better clearance position. But it mighta got into that interference position by my x-tra caster alignment and fixing the bump steer due to my lowered ride height. On the stock alignment, you might not run into that.

SBM*, trans*
I have run both a 360 and a 318 in same chassis, with the same TTIs. While the 360 has always run the A833 M/T, the 318 has also run an A904 auto.

Last edited:
All of the cheap headers I've used have to be dinged a little bit or a pry bar between the powersteering box and the header tube to push the tube flat a little.
They're also known to interfere with the steering coupler.idler arm is known to scrape against them too

hello i am having trouble with some headers i have they will not fit the power steering is in the way there cheap no name set i was told will fit with ps but they will not .had engine foot in the air banged with sledge hammer cannot get to sit flat due to ps so i assume there manual steering headers.so i am in need of some headers that will fit.i have a 67 dart with a 73 scamp k frame with a 318 with power steering.i really do not want stock manifolds please suggestions on what will fit.thank you
I will only install a good header anymore in a A-body. I've done the cyclones, hedmans, etc, and not interested in doing any of those in a A-body anymore. I've had great experience with Doug's, I haven't tried TTI headers but I have run their 2.5" head pipes with manifolds and they fit like a glove.

thank you all for the info.when you says logs u mean stock 340 manifolds im guessing.Its a mildly built 318 nothing crazy i really just like the exhaust sound with headers.all of my mopars seem to get 4 barrels,headers and cam lol.any of you know anything about the summit sum-g9140 it shows fitting 67 gt v8 ps and 73 dart v8 ps and there alot cheaper.tti are out of the question for me 1000bucks for headers i can buy a complete A body car for that ouch.dougs are 700 a little better deal.

thank you all for the info.when you says logs u mean stock 340 manifolds im guessing.Its a mildly built 318 nothing crazy i really just like the exhaust sound with headers.all of my mopars seem to get 4 barrels,headers and cam lol.any of you know anything about the summit sum-g9140 it shows fitting 67 gt v8 ps and 73 dart v8 ps and there alot cheaper.tti are out of the question for me 1000bucks for headers i can buy a complete A body car for that ouch.dougs are 700 a little better deal.
I bought Dougs (not ceramic coated) for 5 bills and some change. I need me a handful of some of them "1000 dollar A-bodies" :D

I put the Dougs on my 70 Duster 408/727 with floor shifter and they fit better than any header I've ever had. Only issue I had was when I upgraded the torsion bars from OE to 1.03. Had to clearance the headers to keep them from rubbing. Other than that a great fit.

hey thank you mopar friends for all the info.i went to autozone they cannot get the raw steel ones anymore but the black d453-b and the ceramics are available the black is $671.99 and ceramic is 900 . I was like my mopar friends mentioned 20% off sometimes she said cannot do cause dougs are special order.then she went into her computer and goes how about $540 out the door to try and match the 20% I was like order them.so thank you for all the advice/info will be my first set of dougs headers ive fought other brands through out the years.From what you all say and what i read about them and Abody mopars i should be really happy with them.i just want to say thank you.i will comment and try to post some pics when i get them.thank u thank u thanku and Mopar On

-
Back