please help 225/318 swap

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
hey world im new to this and want to swap my 225 slant 6 to a 318 i bought from a guy.The 318 is from a 68 charger and will be going into my 72 swinger.Any help you could give me would be appriciated :sad2: .This is my first mopar and am just learning.
I have
a904
7 1/4 ? rearend

Ok, first you will need the motor mounts from http://www.engine-swaps.com/ or you will have to change your k memeber. You will also need a trans for a A body V8. Might even have to change your radiator. Other than that is should be pretty easy. I did the same thing in my 66 Dart a few years back with no problems.

my question is will this engine fit?i was told id have to change the tranny,is this true? its drop in ready (for a 68 charger) but besides new moter mounts ,do i need to change anything else?

Mounts, trans, exhaust, and the wiring you will have to modify for distributor and senders and stuff.

Another question is what are you doing with the 318? stock, it's an easy swap. Just get the conversion motor mounts from Schumacker. You'll need A Body headers, not the ones that came with the B body. Remember, your front end is set up for the slant, so you probobly have drums up front. if at all possible, get a 318 K member from a 73 and up A Body. You'll get the bigger disk brakes with that. V8 904 tranny's can be found almost anywhere. Hell, I have one in my shed from my 318 to 360 swap. Also you might want to get the Mancini ignition kit for about 200 that includes coil, distrib and orange box ecu, mine also came with new Accell wires. If you go with the 318/904 route, you should be able to get a drive shaft from any bone yard. If you live in So Cal, or are close, I have a bunch of those parts.

Stu

Isnt the 904 using the same driveshaft, regardless of V8 or /6? I thought as long as it's a 904, the shafts are the same.

changed my dart , to 340 from /6 didn't have to change driveshaft till I went to 8 3/4 stayed with 904 trans

I do belive the drive shaft is the same.thats why im going with the 318/904.I later want to go with a 360 create,727, and 8 3/4.from what i understand this is a good start(318/904).because i can get exhaust headers and other things ready for the 360

the actual swap part is extremely easy, I basically built mine from a short block, and the hardest part was finding the right parts. you will need shifter linkages, as I remember finding 4 types of them and neither of them fit. I just seem to have a whole bunch of bad transmission luck.

you guys have been helpful.Do i sound like im on the right track?am i wasting my time with the 904(because its an easier swap....right now).i love my dart and have wanted this car for about 15 years,one day just got lucky,and 1 came in on the back of a flat bed.all orignal,1 owner,lots of papers and 53,000 orig. miles. dont get me wrong,it needs work it sat for the last 10yrs. but it still runs like a champ,(even if it is a /6). theres nothing like the respect you get when you drive down the street ina mopar, and i just want better for my baby.

-
Back