Please Help!!!! 8 1/4 Reaend Teardown

-

72Swinger340

SKMOPARMANIAC
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals - 1st time I am tearing down a 8 1/4 rear end and I cant figure out how to pull the centre pin out shown in the picture. I pulled the bolt out that was on the side but can't figure out how the pin comes out. Is it just pushed in or is it threaded in?
Thanks
Dwayne

If You Have Removed The Retaining Bolt, The Shaft Should Slide Out. You Mave Have To Tap It Out With A Brass Drift. Unless There Is Alot Of Wear, It Should Slide Out.

Should it slide out either direction or does it come out only one way?
The one I am trying to remove is broken so I need to know if it matters which direction the pin goes.

I think mine slid out the same end the retaining screw was on. May come out either way. Just tap it with a brass drift, you won't hurt it if the screw is backed out far enough. If the axles are still in sometimes one axle stub end resting on the pin will make it slide out hard. If you have to use more than a tap to remove it you need to recheck your steps, make sure that screw is backed out far enough, etc.

The "bolt" is long enough to go through the whole center pin,it needs to come all the way out(not "backed off") Make sure you have the whole bolt,I've seen them break off in the center pin. If you have all of the bolt out,the center pin should go out either way. A tap w/a punch should get it moving. Double check that bolt to make sure you have the whole thing!

Thanks for the replys - I think the bolt is complete and out but I will check that to make sure. The pin could be rusted in a bit, because when I opened the cover it was full of ice, so it may need some persauding.

-
Back