Please help Me.."Overcharging"?

-
you popped the regulator get a bigger 1 the old wire sytems are wired for 35 amps
tell them you want a 65 or 85 amp regulator and youll be good if you freid anything check your fusable link or change it out anyways its 50 years old

you popped the regulator get a bigger 1 the old wire sytems are wired for 35 amps
tell them you want a 65 or 85 amp regulator and youll be good if you freid anything check your fusable link or change it out anyways its 50 years old

I changed the regulator once. It did the same thing. It was just a cheapo from advance. I dont have many options where I live for the good stuff at the stores.
Mine has two wires going to the regulator.
Theres a fuseable link? I dont know where that is.
My charging system was good until I changed the alt. My pulley was old and split in half but was charging properly. I hate electrical problems.

No freekin idea what you are talking about

1---He has a 70/ later system which is already the isolated field, later regulator

2--He already has a larger alternator

3--It ain't 50 years old.

4--There is no such thing as a "65 or 85 amp regulator"

67Dart273
I don't know if you caught my last post. It was on the prior page...I put.

Its at 14.50 right now.
With the green wire off, it slowly goes down hill, as in 13.8 and goes down slowly even lower.
The odd thing is, it can be fine for an hour, then start overcharging out of nowhere, and go back to normal.
Without moving the car or bumping anything.
I just find it odd I did not have this problem until I changed the ALT due to a broken pulley.
It was just a broken pulley, was charging fine before the swap.

Going down slow with the green sounds "normal" for that condition, IE the battery is just going down from the overcharge.

I'd try vigourously wiggling the field connections, the regulator connector, and bumping/ tapping the regulator with a mallet while running and watching the battery voltage.

Going down slow with the green sounds "normal" for that condition, IE the battery is just going down from the overcharge.

I'd try vigourously wiggling the field connections, the regulator connector, and bumping/ tapping the regulator with a mallet while running and watching the battery voltage.

I actually did that but didn't want to post it. I was tapping the VR with a rubber mallet. I dunno why, but I did.
I think I am going to try and wiggling all the wires while running, and see if it acts up while waiting on the replacement alternator. I'll just keep my eye on the digital while I am shaking all the connections...etc.
when it does the overcharging thing while driving. I know quickly. It shuts the "aftermarket" radio off, until I let off the throttle.

I haven't read the complete thread, but is the regulator you got from Advance a BWD brand? Is it painted with a grey epoxie paint? BWD had a whole batch of bad regulators on the shelf of many different Advance stores. All the ones I ran into would not charge due to the case not being grounded internally. It is not out of the realm of possibility that they might have some bad ones that over charge.

Okay, I think I fixed it..."I think". The reason I am saying this, is that I took it for a 20 mile ride last week, and no problem. However.....

I did as you asked. I started yanking and wiggling wires.

Well...right at the ballast resistor, where the two blue wires merge together, I pulled up on those wires, and it jumped to 17 volts right away!!!
I did this like 5 times!! And it kept doing it.

I cut that plug off, and spliced the two blue wires together, and put a new female connector on, and plugged it in. I think that was it!

I shook the wiring again, and it is staying at about 14.2-14.4.
Sometimes down to 14.10.
Never went that low before. Gawd I hope that was it!

I took it for a ride, "but I did that before", AND IT SEEMS FINE!

Bad part is, I made them order me a new alternator. I wanted the right one with the single pulley. I hope this was it!!!

Sounds like you got er to me. "Old wiring"

Thanks for all your help. I hope this did the trick. I am going to still take the single pulley alternator when it comes in Monday. I am going to keep driving it daily to see if it stays right. I did find one thing odd. It lowered from 14.50 down to 14.10-14.20. I guess its getting better...

-
Back