Please Help Me - Posting for my 70 year old grandfather

-

thelanceadkins

Reaction score
My grandfather is trying to find the best place to buy seat covers for his 1970 Plymouth Duster (340). He calls me on the phone and I do my best to look these things up, however he is concerned with the ones we have found so far and is trying to find something that isn't going to be made in China.

Thank you all for your time and your help.

Respectfully

My grandfather is trying to find the best place to buy seat covers for his 1970 Plymouth Duster (340). He calls me on the phone and I do my best to look these things up, however he is concerned with the ones we have found so far and is trying to find something that isn't going to be made in China.

Respectfully
Seat covers or upholstery?

For decades Legendary Auto Upholstery seems the best quality, with fewest complaints, from my personal use in 4 vehicles, all Darts, and being able to compare another, cheaper manufacturer, side by side, - and the quality difference was night and day. The cheaper manufacturer "stitching " was terrible, and after a summer of summer-heat the driver "seat" was badly sagged/stretched by my 160 lb son.
There are lots a similar posts here, a quick search may get you pinpoint results.
Good Luck.
P.S . .the wait time is long, so order early, very early, the wait will be worth the quality .
They also often sales, Xmas usually being 20/25%ish.

Respectfully
Welcome to the site!

First, a few pics of the interior would help tremendously.

Bench seat?

Bucket seats?

Color?

Ask your grandfather if he has a build sheet.

Welcome to the site!

First, a few pics of the interior would help tremendously.

Bench seat?

Bucket seats?

Color?

Ask your grandfather if he has a build sheet.
Color is black, he only needs the rear and they are a bench seat. And I would love to provide pics, but I live 3 1/2 hours away. He still uses an old flip phone with no camera.

I would also like to suggest you not overlook a local auto upholstery shop (after research), as I have had a few seats repaired where a seam split, or the material got "hard", and replaced the "bum" section only, with surprisingly similar grain material.
Depends on the quantity of the repair.
The Legendary stuff will look like "factory" .

I see links to Dante's. Good guy! Just placed an order. Picked up 1st ring, ready to go!

To be clear, you have two choices. You can completely re-upholster the seats to be like original from a place like Legendary and they are high quality and you will spend several thousand dollars for the kits and the labor to install them or you can buy a universal non-original set that will do the job and spend $200-$400 for the kit and someone to install it. A local upholsterer can help you here.

I would recommend yall go to a local upholstery shop and talk with them. They may have some options your grandfather will like and they would be made locally.

I would also like to suggest you not overlook a local auto upholstery shop (after research), as I have had a few seats repaired where a seam split, or the material got "hard", and replaced the "bum" section only, with surprisingly similar grain material.
Depends on the quantity of the repair.
The Legendary stuff will look like "factory" .
Agreed......Got these done locally cheaper than a set of Legenday covers with 2 week wait time. :thumbsup:

IMG_0011.JPG

Legendary's will be correct as to original oem as to material and build. If not installed correctly and repair bad springs, etc they will not be right!
Legendary got way behind during covid, did they ever get caught up??

A GOOD upholstery shop can made correct covers if they source the right materials. Around here, they are not cheap.

Legendary's will be correct as to original oem as to material and build. If not installed correctly and repair bad springs, etc they will not be right!
Legendary got way behind during covid, did they ever get caught up??

A GOOD upholstery shop can made correct covers if they source the right materials. Around here, they are not cheap.
Good
Cheap
Fast

Pick any two

My friend does custom upholstery and is a Legendary dealer for the OEM stuff. THere are things he can't duplicate like the heat embossing on the door panels and certain seats. He is impressed with their quality and fit.

seat (2).jpg

new seat cover.jpg

^^^^Like said, a good upholstery shop can make great covers, but if the oem had the little embossing, then picking Legendary is a no brainer!!! If they can get the correct grain and color in the vinyl. I still wonder what the turn around time is for Legendary now days.?
Legendary has always been the "go to" p[lace for Mopar upholstery. I have heard that Dante's can get it to you faster also. Good luck!!

I had the front and back seats for my '69 Dart 2 door HT (split bench front and regular rear) done locally by a local guy that does upholstery on the side and I am pleased with the results.
He did the front and rear seats, cleaned up and painted the cores and fixed the springs as needed, used new foam and burlap, and hand stitched the covers.
Including installation of the covers, out the door it was $1200.
It's been 2 years and they are still good and supple.
I had them back in a month.
To be fair, the pattern is slightly different than original, and Legendary would be probably a lot better, but It didn't matter to me because the car is a driver...

DSC08205.JPG

DSC08206.JPG

-
Back