Please help! My 2001 Ram has an error code P0138

-

Popdart

Reaction score
Well the ole truck has cut out a couple of times over the last couple of weeks, so I thought I'd try to see if it had any codes. :-k After doing the "ignition on and off 4 times" thing, it showed "P0138". I couldn't find a reference to that code online for my 2001 Dodge RAM, but did for a PT Cruiser showing "HO2S CIRCUIT HIGH VOLTAGE BANK 1 SENSOR 2". First of course, does the PT codes even apply to my truck? And if this is the code, can I get someone's help as to what it is, where it is, and can I change it myself?? Can't locate my manual as of yet. :study: Thanks a bunch in advance for anyone's help. Rog :toothy7:

lol thanks . . . there's 4 of them on my beast. I downloaded a factory manual and it showed me where it is. Thanks

I know you've got it sorted out, but I thought I'd add a note: for OBDII vehicles, the codes are the same for all of them (with very few exceptions).

I.E. I've had the exact same code in my 2000 Grand Cherokee (P0138-bank 1 sensor 2). In that case (4.0 I6-there's only one bank) it's simple. if it's a V8 it's (iirc) driver side (bank1), second from the front (sensor 2).

I know you've got it sorted out, but I thought I'd add a note: for OBDII vehicles, the codes are the same for all of them (with very few exceptions).

I.E. I've had the exact same code in my 2000 Grand Cherokee (P0138-bank 1 sensor 2). In that case (4.0 I6-there's only one bank) it's simple. if it's a V8 it's (iirc) driver side (bank1), second from the front (sensor 2).
thanks guy . . . . :grin:

lol thanks . . . there's 4 of them on my beast. I downloaded a factory manual and it showed me where it is. Thanks

The o2 sensors in the front are the ones you need to worry about for fuel metering, the rear ones are intended to monitor cat efficency and if they are anything like my dakota's were they could be pulled and hung from the frame rail with no detriment to anything.

I agree with other opinions that both should be changed. before they go, they are going to run the truck rich as hell and kill mileage. Changing them, especially if they're old ought to give you a decent improvement in mileage.

-
Back