Please Help: Removing intermediate shaft.

-

Archeryguy02

Reaction score
I have a 1968 Barracuda that I put a new rebuilt 360 about 15 years ago, now has maybe 5,000 miles. I never finished the project due to money issues so the car hasn't ran in 11 years. Now I have some time and money and was going to fire it up. I put some Marvels in the cylinders and was going to pull the intermediate shaft and prime it after changing the oil.

This is where the problem starts, the motor looks brand new where I can see around the intermediate shaft. I cant get it to come out. I marked it before I started and I got it to turn maybe 1/8 of a turn and have ruined 2 screw drivers in the process. I would like to avoid removing the intake to replace this part and prime the engine. Next I may machine down a 1/2 drive extension to go after it with. Please help.

I have used a piece of heavy welding rod with a bend at the end, to get underneath the gear, and pull up as I turn with the screwdriver.. ( lol.. Craftsman driver with warranty)

hope it helps

This one is super tight, I am not sure why. I tried early on pulling up on it with bent clothes hanger while I tried to turn it but nothing budged. It has only moved one time when I was on it with both and with a screw driver and a set of channel locks on the handle. I fear I will have to pull the intake. I really dont want to turn the motor without having lubed it, but now after this BS I am thinking I should have just cranked it over with the coil wire off and let the starter build oil pressure. Now I have to get the damned thing out there is no way it is still good and I am sure there have been at least a few metal chips gone into the motor.

I've seen them where I had to drop the pan, remove the oil pump and tap them out from underneath. You gotta do what you gotta do.

make a noose or U out of a piece of machinist wire. Use the wire to pry up off of the block with a bar of some sort after wrapping it around the bar/large screw driver. Spray heavily with carb cleaner to loosen the crud on the shaft below the bushing while moving it up and down. Worked for me. Steve

Thanks guys. Thats the part I dont understand the motor only has about 5000 miles on it. From what I can see it still looks brand new inside. I tried tapping it back down to see if it worked looser for the distance it came out and it is as tight as it was the first time. I dont think its a crud issue but I dont remember the shaft being that tight when I put it in 15 years ago.

I have 2 questions.

1. If I turn the motor over with starter in an effort to loosen this shaft up will it help?

2. Will it hurt the main and cam bearings much if I turn the motor over with the starter? The motor hasn't ran for over 10 years.

Use a slide hammer with a hook. If the bushing wasn't "sized" after replacement, the fit can be that tight.

It's got some buildup or something on the bottom of the shaft below the bushing. Like OOM said - they can get that way. Best bet is to keep working it "up & down" using a large blade screwdriver (that fits the slot well) and some penetrating oil. It will come out - just needs patience. If it was me, when you're done, I'd clean the shaft well, replace the bushing and properly burnish it to final size - and you're good to go.

This one is toast I can feel the shaft turning inside the gear and the slot is messed up a little. I will have to buy a new intermediate shaft and make sure it fits the bushing well. I am thinking about pulling the intake to get better access to it and using the slide hammer to some extent. I may try the slide hammer with the intake on first. Thanks for the input guys.

Use a slide hammer with a hook. If the bushing wasn't "sized" after replacement, the fit can be that tight.

Thanks the slide hammer worked great. As I though no gunk at all just like brand new. I think the fit between the cam and intermediate shaft is just a little tight. Thanks for all the help guys. Now to change the oil, prime, evacuate the oil from the cylinders, new plugs and hook up a gas can and give her a go.

-
Back