Please identify

-

65Vart

Reaction score
Ok, this isnt a Chrysler product but can one of the genius's here identify this motor? Curious, I know it's a flathead, what kind of hp? It's in a 32 coupe. Rare speed parts?

8781fa5_20.jpg

Looks like a FORD flathead V8 with Offyhauser(sp) intake with small dual carbs. Stock OEM flathead exhaust manifolds.

If I had to guess at a HP rating, I'd say under 200hp but about 200-225 torque.

Riddler

Ford 8ba 1949-53. probably around 200 hp, speed parts for flathead fords are pretty common

Thanks, I knew it was a flatty, just curious about the year, intake, carbs etc etc, potential HP out of one of these.

That's a '49-'53 Model 8BA. Has 24 head bolts and the water outlets are in the front instead of the center. Best flathead ford to hot rod. They can make 300 HP relatively easily. Performance stuff still readily available. Edelbrock still makes heads for um and several companies still make headers and intakes and internal engine parts. I've built a few. They are really cool. Nuthin sounds quite a good hot flatty.

Here's a nice little article on um:

http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/history.htm

You can also tell it is the later version because of the "normal" style distributor. The best version to run is the Merc's because they were 259 inches, the Fords were only 239 inches.

Chuck

-
Back