Please remove my thread

-
Don't go Snake!

snake.jpg

I think this is a good move for you. I would just try and do everything on the car myself from now on. Just start working on your paint. I'll bet if you just do a little finishing touches on it, it will look great.

Your right Snake,all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy!Going to shows,cruises and the track is a great way to meet other car people!I like the track the best,usally these guys have done alot of there own work(well some not with machining)but other than that they are hands on people!Good luck,keep at it!Is the 360 going in?

I hear ya! Every penny counts. I hate it when people say"you get what you pay for" when it comes to body work.

A true professional would make things right. I am sorry you are dissatisfied with the finished product. You might wish to express this in the form of a placard at car shows,stating who did the paint and bodywork. No insults or inuendo,just the name of the person or shop involved. When you asked about it,express your "opinion"!

I would color sand the overspray off. It's the safest way. Take your time,dont sand too much or you will break through the clearcoat. Use very fine paper,maybe 1500 grit or better and lightly sand it.Use no hand pressure,let the paper and sanding block do the work. This will make it easier to hand polish out
Fill a 5 gallon pail with warm water and ad some liquid dish soap to it. Use this to lubricate you paper by dropping all your wet/dry sandpaper in it.

If you drop any sandpaper on the ground, wash it or discard it. Any grit will leave deep scratches.

Use a constant supply of water while sanding to flush away any material. I like to use a light trickle from a hose,but some use a mister bottle.

Be patient.

Wash the vehicle when done.Make sure it is spotless,so hand dry it with something lint free. Then polish it out.

Power buffing is best left to a pro if you have never done it. It's real easy to burn a hole through the paint.

This covers everything--'nuff said.

Snake: Look at it this way; every car that gets a fresh coat of paint SHOULD have to go through the color sanding process. Sweetass paint jobs don't come from the gun.
They come from a thousand dollars worth of labor after it dries. No exceptions. So get busy and you'll love the results.

i'm with the rest of the guys. we all know that you are cool and, don't want to see you mad. everything is cool with me and i hope you get your car straight.

The car is probably better than you think, you're probably like me and notice every little imperfection, most people won't. Enjoy it, enjoy life, cheers :drinkers:

Snake, that thread reminds me why i do my own paint and bondy work, it's not your fault that you didn't get what you expected. Why don't you redo the engine compartment yourself? It's not that hard to do. This is a really sensitive topic for all concerned.
Buff out the rest of the body and it'll be fine. Not all of us can afford $10,000 paint jobs and to get it done perfectly.
Remember, you get what you pay for!
And stay on here or else!
Just my .02
Tom.

Snake, that thread reminds me why i do my own paint and bondy work, it's not your fault that you didn't get what you expected. Why don't you redo the engine compartment yourself? It's not that hard to do. This is a really sensitive topic for all concerned.
Buff out the rest of the body and it'll be fine. Not all of us can afford $10,000 paint jobs and to get it done perfectly.
Remember, you get what you pay for!
And stay on here or else!
Just my .02
Tom.

That's a good suggestion, I do all my own work and have a great appreciation of how much work and expense there is to it. I don't even bat an eye if someone says it's a 10K paint job, if you want it perfect you have to put a lot more work into it than you would ever imagine. If you're overly anal about it like I am you're never happy with the results even when everyone else is raving about it. Like I said earlier, most people don't notice litte imperfections except picky bastards like me :-D

I think this is a good move for you. I would just try and do everything on the car myself from now on. Just start working on your paint. I'll bet if you just do a little finishing touches on it, it will look great.
I TOTALLY agree 100%. I try to do as much as humanly possible myself. This approach pays dividends. Because I want to do everything myself, over the years I have learned gas, mig & tig welding, I have learned how to gas-weld aluminum, build automatic transmissions, built & used my own flow-bench, paint, do bodywork, and on & on. About the only things I cant do myself is major machining. If something is messed up, I have no-one to blame but myself, & I can learn from the experience & do it better next time.

I TOTALLY agree 100%. I try to do as much as humanly possible myself. This approach pays dividends. Because I want to do everything myself, over the years I have learned gas, mig & tig welding, I have learned how to gas-weld aluminum, build automatic transmissions, built & used my own flow-bench, paint, do bodywork, and on & on. About the only things I cant do myself is major machining. If something is messed up, I have no-one to blame but myself, & I can learn from the experience & do it better next time.
Oh yea, and one other benefit. You end up working on alot of other guys cars when you take this approach.

Don't give up, you can buff it out yourself. Maybe if you posted some pics we may be able to help you. If I lived nearby I would just go over and work on it.
Maybe its not as bad as you think. Let us see what we can do.

After a couple of estimates of 3500+ (and that's without pulling the trim and nothing to fix but a few dings) I decided to do it myself. I'll end up with a better paint job at a fraction of the cost. I'm glad I did it. Buy the book "How to paint your car on a budget", good read.

Buy the book "How to paint your car on a budget", good read.

Ditto on that suggestion. Great book filled with DIY tips on most everything. Written by Pat Ganahl of former Hot Rod Magazine fame--good writer and honest car guy. I highly recommend the book.

Don't get discouraged about this situation: it is just a way for you to learn something new. I wish you (and the car) the best.

Davy

Bring that Dart to Moparfest! Lets get a buffer, and have a great old FABO buffing bee. We could take turns polishing your paint. I'm in for a couple of hours worth. It would make a great story, and besides, what could it hurt? Maybe we can get a small generator, and someone can bring a buffer. I'll even offer up a can of compound.

If I had a shop that put out something that looked less than slick, I wouldn't let it out. If I wanted a $250 paint job, I'd take it to a Mass Production Shop. If your reputation is on the line, you have to bite the bullet sometimes. Do I expect a $10,000 paint job for $250. NO. But I do expect it to be smooth if that is what I ask for.
If you can't produce the outcome for the price quoted, then don't quote it.
My 69 Dart has been in the shop for about 10 months and I can't complain because they told me not to expect a deadline. The owner has been sick for a while and I understand that but I still would like to have my car. I went against the grain and want the car painted with enamel paint. That way I can buff out any problems and I think enamel is tougher than clear coat.

Just thinking out loud.

Hey Snake. Stick around and see how I mess up my dart! LOL...yep planning on painting it meself! In the drive way! Yep its all in the driving! And friends....I know if I ask a question here I get a dozen answers...and a dozen opinions sometimes all different. But I love this site. But we need you to stick around!

You should be happy its one color.

You did not get took trust me...even though you used to get the cars painted for 4K, the prices of materials, labor, insurance and overhead has skrocketed in the last few years.

I would be content with the fact that its all one color and you can drive it now with pride instead of a giant primer spot on the quarter.

You get what you pay for period. 4K body/paint job is gonn alook like a 4K body/paintjob.

That's not a bad thing....you just need to be honest with yourself and spend more $$$$ on your next car or find one that is already done.

I know how easy it is to get discouraged and loose steam. I don't know if read you read my post "Restorations on hold, cars waiting" but I understand first hand. Let me hit the high points. I bought my '70 340 Swinger in '86. Restored it and drove it for years...than it sat. About 4 years ago I got the bug to get her going again, and I wanted to make her better than new this time. I started the resto, then changed jobs...which took most of my time. Then got married, leaving me less time...then bought a house...even less time. The car sat more and more. Then it was moved out of the garage due to a death in the family...long story. All I can say is don't give up and don't give in. I thought about abought throwing in the towel meny time over the past couple years, but when I look back I am glad I didn't...I know you would be too.

I agree.....I am still working on mine almost 5 yrs later....same thing. You work you get happy something goes wrong you get sad you stop you fume you get bored so you start working again and that makes you happy.....repeat until project is finished.

I almost gave up about 3 weeks ago when I started having brain farts doing wiring.....I was sooooo p.o.'d for like 5 days and then I was depressed for 2 weeks.....finally I gave up for a week and low and behold when I finally got back to it everything worked out and I am back in love and almost done!

Hang in there and save your money for some better bodywork later.

Mop

I read the entire thread this is all about and I believe both parties are at fault.

Although 4 g's isn't chump change but you get what you paid for. I'm also reading in that there might have been some interpretation issues as to what you were going to receive in quality also. Certain bleems like over spray and general quality should be addressed by the body guy even if he sub'd it out.

But as far as getting 100% straight body panels for what you paid I don't believe you have a gripe there for what you received and what you paid.

If anyone expects show car quality they should expect to pay for the time invested in actual body work time. Atleast three times or more what you paid and then if you hold up a straight edge like you have you'll have something to complain about with what you found. It's a time issue and expertise that you pay for.

Good luck

Once again all that speak is true.....I started out with an 8K bid for body and paint.....before we started I was shown what 8k would get me.....I decided that I didn't want to have this car, which was a TRUE NO RUST CA CAR done at a B level so I saved and saved and started the process for an A level car.....2 years later the body and paint are done plus some extra work that blossomed along the way.

Seriously, it takes time and $$$$ to get an A level car.

Like he said at least 3X what your base bid is.....will get you a straight car and I don't buy your 4K for a perfect car rhetoric cause back in 85 it took at least that much to get a decent PAINT JOB with minimal body work....trust me ...don't get a bid from a Meth head shop...not saying you went to one just that those are the ones that promise you the moon to get some $$$ for their real job.....tweakin.

It's all time.....lots of time to straighten hand align sand straighten align sand remove paint, reinstall, realign, repaint, realign.....and so on until perfection is achieved.......EVEN THEN IT WILL NEVER BE PERFECT EVEN IF YOU SPEND MILLIONS OF $$$$$$.

It is what it is....a car.

Enjoy your car, put it together and drive it ....BEAT IT. It is a Mopar after all.....use it for a driver and save for a future car.

JUST DRIVE IT!

LOVE IT!

IT"S YOURS AND YOUR LUCKY TO HAVE ONE!.

I have many freinds that have none.....they ride with me.:compress:

-
Back