Please watch out for bicycles

-
sorry for your loss,i ride a bike everyday around livermore.and i try not to be in the way of traffic but we have a bunch of f**ked up drivers trying to rush all over the place.so watch out for bicycles,or my bike might just launch right into the side of your car....

If the guy or gal would have stopped he may have lived if help was called. What a shame for a young couple. Sorry for your loss. Steve

My condolences. I don't have words for the stupidity of whomever it was that hit the. Well, I do, but it would booger up the thread. Sorry for your loss.

Lame.

I've been bonked a few times on my skate. I never assume right of way, even though I know I'm supposed to have it. Typical problem that I've noticed, watching driver's heads is that they look left approaching sign intersections and cruise up past the ped crossing and seldom look right, which is usually where bicyclists dwell, being a slower vehicle.

I was hit by a woman in a fiat, only to have it almost happen 2 more times in the past week by the same woman at the same intersection. I finally had a talk with her.

I drive everywhere like I'm on a motorcycle. I've avoided dozens of accidents that happened near me and countless accidents prevented.

Almost everyone I know commutes by bicycle and Denver is full of them. I've seen a few bloodbaths and taco'd rims taped off by police, too.

Sorry to hear about your friend, your loss and his girl's loss. Be sure to be a good friend to everyone who knew him.

It really has me thinking about riding. I like to ride my "go fast bike" more then the cruiser and it seems you don't stand a chance sometimes.
This is the second hit and run fatality here the past couple months. Both on beach bridges.

Sorry to hear this, our area is loaded with people on bicycles most obey the rules some don't. It's a shame that the police have no leads it'll make finding the person responsible very difficult my prayers to him and his girlfriends friends and family. The bicyclists that anger me are the weekend warriors wearing their spandex and riding their multi thousand dollar bicycles not in the bike lane but taking up an entire lane. After that group got run into and several got killed new laws were put into affect and these folks push the envelope of the law. I truly hope that law enforcement can solve this tragedy giving some closure to the family!!!!!!

My condolences sir

I'm paranoid about riding my motorcycle on the street much less a bicycle. There are a lot of drunk doped up fools out there on the road. These people who ride these bicycles with a helmet and suits on man I tell you they risk their lives everytime they are out on the road.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. That is one reason I will never own a bike. I was a Military Police Desk SGT and had to deal with soldiers dieing all the time on their bikes. Sad to say 99% of them that did die on the bike was not their fault. It had happend so much here at Fort Campbell that I knew the head nurce at Vandy by first name. People just do not watch out for anyone on a bikes.

So sorry for the loss of your friend. Prayers for his family as well, and such a needless loss it is. There have been several on the news here recently as well.

Good.

I see he's already setting up his defense, too.

Robert, Id bet money it was DUI related. After looking at the photos and seeing the damage to the bike he must have hit them pretty hard. Parts were broken off the bike that normally would not have in a minor accident(seat, handle bars). Crank arms bent in, rear wheel completely off the bike and the tacod front wheel as well. Every part of the bike is damaged. Notice how one of his safety lights was still flashing. Being a cyclist and seeing this is bad enough. When its someone you know its even worse. If this maggot would have stuck around like a man it might have saved Robs life. Lets hope Hilary makes a full recovery. I doubt she will ever ride a bicycle again.

I am just hoping it was not partly there fault due to inexperience, because that happens also. Riding a tandem can be tricky.

Robert, Id bet money it was DUI related. After looking at the photos and seeing the damage to the bike he must have hit them pretty hard. Parts were broken off the bike that normally would not have in a minor accident(seat, handle bars). Crank arms bent in, rear wheel completely off the bike and the tacod front wheel as well. Every part of the bike is damaged. Notice how one of his safety lights was still flashing. Being a cyclist and seeing this is bad enough. When its someone you know its even worse. If this maggot would have stuck around like a man it might have saved Robs life. Lets hope Hilary makes a full recovery. I doubt she will ever ride a bicycle again.

I am just hoping it was not partly there fault due to inexperience, because that happens also. Riding a tandem can be tricky.

It's a sucker bet, Noel.

As far as the bicyclist thing goes, I've seen it both ways. Riders coming off the sidewalk right into traffic, blowing through intersections, ignoring the fact that a cyclist has to follow the rules of the road just like a motor vehicle driver does.

And I've seen them follow the rules of the road and be careful in riding, remember they are on the road with vehicles that weigh a lot more, goes a lot faster, and takes up more room.

But then again, I've seen pedestrians do the same thing. And other drivers.

Either way, it's up to the motor vehicle driver to keep an eye on 'em.

Yeah, inexperience can lead to an accident sometimes. Cruising over to see my folks the other day and a woman riding a bike up a hill was bobbling all over the place. Slowed down to go by her and she damn near weaved into the side of the truck. Riding on these hills all my life, most are just too steep to peddle up for all except the strongest riders.

Either way, it's still up to me to keep an eye on 'em, just as it's up to me to watch other cars on the road.

Prayers sent out this morning for you my friend and there families Noel..........
We lost an elderly man a few months ago as he was in a housing district on his way
to watch his grandson and was hit by a speeding/in a hurry to get to work young lady..
A cell phone was involved, she was 23 years young and the man was well into his late 50'es :sad5:

This is so sad. One careless driver and your friend is killed and his girlfriend seriously injured. You are right Noel we all need to watch out for bikes. I live in a beach area too with lots of bike riders.

Whether I take one of my classics or the mountain bike, I do my best to keep to the side and out of the way fo traffic. I obey traffic laws as any other vehicle. Yet, some cyclists think they can run lights, signs, or ride on the opposite side of the road. Bicycles have as much right to use public roads any other vehicle and have the right of way. Sadly, the law is on our side but physics are not. If I'm not on a residential road, I often ride on the sidewalk and take it easy. If I MUST have a leadfoot then I ride down to the trail and let loose.

My condolences and I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

I just finished restoring a 1965 Huffy Silver Jet and just by coincidence, as I rode through the neighborhood on it's maiden voyage, I was right behind a 1956 Pontiac. Two classics, both heavy on the chrome and fins...what a sight!

good that they got him and I hope they nail him good!

my condolences to you also.

I have always wondered about the law of riding with traffic though. I'm not too sure about that. as a kid growing up we Always were told to ride Against traffic so we could SEE the cars coming at us. As I got older and went to cars I never thought about bikes too much afterwards. Then my kid's started riding and I got worried.
so to me the law of riding With the traffic just does not make sense to me since I see a LOT of these types of accidents.If I was riding a bike (not motorcycle) I'd have to risk a ticket cause I WOULD ride against traffic. I like to see someone that going to get too close to me and give me time to get out of the way. and no those itty bitty mirrors that are stuck on the helmet or handlebars are not going to give you any warning unless you keep your eyes glued to them constantly. of course then you'll probably run through a light or stop sign while your doing that and someone 'll run you over then!

Thanks for all the responses.

Most of the super hero wannabes around here think they have some kind of special right of way. I do not ride with those but heads. I see a lot of idiots who run stop lights and even stop signs with traffic present. When a motorist sees this it usually does not sit well with them. I ride my bike in the street and try to keep as far to the right as safely possible. I have been run off the road by little old ladies, city busses, and the plain ol mean f**ks. My wives late husband was the latter.

On the note of riding against traffic 66Dvert. Its harder for the cars to see and react to that, at least that's my experience.

I see kid riding on sidewalks all the time who cant hold a straight line. One false move on there part and they could end up in front of you.

I am planning on opening a bicycle museum/learning center and hopefully can educate folks on the matter.

I'm glad they caught him and I too questioned if the couple on the bike may have weaved into the road [they [paper] did state that this was a new bike and she was new to riding it] I have ridden tandems and both riders have to work together or its an accident waiting to happen. However I'm sure it's more about a case of DWI or DUI but I doubt he passed out and awoke in the shower I hope he's convicted to the full extent of the law, i'm sure he has prior offences in driving!!!

On the note of riding against traffic 66Dvert. Its harder for the cars to see and react to that, at least that's my experience.

I see kid riding on sidewalks all the time who cant hold a straight line. One false move on there part and they could end up in front of you.

I am planning on opening a bicycle museum/learning center and hopefully can educate folks on the matter.

It was so bad in Horseheads that DOT put up a big digital reader board:

"NY STATE LAW: BICYCLISTS RIDE WITH TRAFFIC. WALK AGAINST TRAFFIC."

-
Back