Plug and play distributor

-

Wreck0nin

Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a good plug and play distributor, I am running what I think is a mopar electric ignition with an msd streetfire box and recently the magnetic pickup gave up the ghost, and rather than replacing it I figured I would upgrade and clean up my engine bay all at the same time. I have looked at the pertronix ignitor 2 and 3s and the msd plug and plays, but does anyone have any experience with the blueprint BPP3603BK? How bad was the install and how does it hold up is what I need to know.

I'm on the hunt for a good plug and play distributor, I am running what I think is a mopar electric ignition with an msd streetfire box and recently the magnetic pickup gave up the ghost, and rather than replacing it I figured I would upgrade and clean up my engine bay all at the same time. I have looked at the pertronix ignitor 2 and 3s and the msd plug and plays, but does anyone have any experience with the blueprint BPP3603BK? How bad was the install and how does it hold up is what I need to know.
@halifaxhops sells oem distributors with petronix setup and curved however you want.. got mine from him and it works perfect... i don't use MSD though.. i don't like to sit on the side of the road wondering why i have no spark.

P.S. setup is.. red wire to + on coil... black wire to negative.. literally can't be easier.

I would just get a recurved Mopar electronic distributor from @halifaxhops Ray. The factory style ignition is as plug and play as it gets.

Buy a new pick up!
That was the original plan, but the problem is I have no idea what distributor it is or how old when it was installed, same with the msd box. I don't like the idea of running used unknown parts, and I haven't found a good quality aftermarket magnetic pickup so far. When I build my cars I like knowing what parts are and where to get replacements if needed, and I can't do that with this setup. And judging from the rest of the parts on this car, I don't trust whoever installed it in the first place.

What exactly are you looking to charge with the new distributor? Ease of changing the advance curve, hide the ignition module inside the distributor, or what? And what's the intended use for the car? A street cruiser will have different needs from a 10,000 RPM naturally aspirated drag car, or a supercharged alcohol motor.

The reason for the new distributor as I said in the last post is to start with a clean slate, I'd rather start with parts that i know and that are new than mystery parts that someone cobbled together. I'm also trying to simplify the wiring as much as possible to cut down on failure points that could arise. It's easier to check 3 connections than 20. The car is a street cruiser right now, rarely sees wot.

Sticking with the original dist means you retain the original ign advance curve for that engine.
You can either swap the pick up by drilling out a rivet or swap the whole plate.
Just be careful. The p/up assy contains a magnet. Make sure no metal bits gets across the pole face, which would stop the p/up from creating the signal.

Minimum components? If your distributor doesn't have a jammed advance mechanism or shot bearings, replace the pick-up and wire it to a 4 pin HEI module. This takes the ballast resistor out of the picture and is a simple, compact build.

Others have mentioned @halifaxhops offering custom curved distributors. A good advance curve is critical. The minimum parts count option there would be with a Pertronix Ignitor II (going with the II to take the ballast resistor out of the picture while allowing use of a normal tach).

I ordered a blueprint unit based on what others in the forum have said about them.

Why not just replace the pickup coil in the existing distributor? And the advance can while you're at it? Would be cheaper and at least as good.
I have accumulated enough new old aftermarket replacement ones for a song via eBay to last me a lifetime. 4 Phillips screws and both components are out. Easy. The ones I have are brands such as Sorensen, niehoff, filko. Brands that were USA made, but unfortunately aren't around any more. "Some" Standard, Borg warner etc brands which are still common, and aren't horrible.

Why not just replace the pickup coil in the existing distributor? And the advance can while you're at it? Would be cheaper and at least as good.
I have accumulated enough new old aftermarket replacement ones for a song via eBay to last me a lifetime. 4 Phillips screws and both components are out. Easy. The ones I have are brands such as Sorensen, niehoff, filko. Brands that were USA made, but unfortunately aren't around any more. "Some" Standard, Borg warner etc brands which are still common, and aren't horrible.
I have explained several times that due to the fact that the age, condition, and brand of distributor is unknown because it came in the car and was not installed by myself is the reason I chose to replace it. Frankly I can't understand why people keep telling me to replace components when that's not the question I asked.

Just trying to help you out..... I guess that either there is something wrong with the shaft or housing you now have that makes your old one unrepairable, or it's already not a stock unit that parts can be had for, or some people just like spending..... The older I get, the more crap that comes from overseas, the more I get told "buy a Chevy, nothing available for Mopar", the further that technology " advances" (yeah right ) beyond what I currently have, the more I would rather work with what I have. Yeah there are situations where it isn't possible or even feasible, and I get that. But to replace something that is usually fixable, just for the sake of replacing it makes less sense all the time.

Just trying to help you out..... I guess that either there is something wrong with the shaft or housing you now have that makes your old one unrepairable, or it's already not a stock unit that parts can be had for, or some people just like spending..... The older I get, the more crap that comes from overseas, the more I get told "buy a Chevy, nothing available for Mopar", the further that technology " advances" (yeah right ) beyond what I currently have, the more I would rather work with what I have. Yeah there are situations where it isn't possible or even feasible, and I get that. But to replace something that is usually fixable, just for the sake of replacing it makes less sense all the time.
It's not that it's not repairable, it's that it's easier to start a build with a clean slate with good parts. Im replacing parts that I relay on because short of a crystal ball I have no way of telling how good these parts were when they were installed, much less how they aged. Sometimes the best thing to do it start fresh with something that has been tested.

What type distributor is the Blueprint? I'm unfamiliar with that.

BPP3603BK is the part number, its a hei style with an external coil from the look of it. I'm hoping to just delete all the msd wiring and keep everything nice and simple.

BPP3603BK is the part number, its a hei style with an external coil from the look of it. I'm hoping to just delete all the msd wiring and keep everything nice and simple.
Ok I see it now. Thanks. But, regardless of WHAT they call it, it ain't HEI. There's only one HEI and that ain't it. That's the same as the MSD ready to run distributor, just Blueprint's version. Probably pretty nice.

Last edited:
Never heard of them...

From @Johnny Mac

BluePrint Engine’s Pro Series Pro Billet Ready to Run Distributor Instructions

Included: (1) Pro Series Distributor (1) Vacuum Advance Block-o (1) Wire Retainer (1) Power Extension Cable (1) Spring and Weight Advance Kit (1) Tachometer Extension Cable

An important feature on all BluePrint Pro Series distributors is the fully adjustable mechanical advance. This allows you to easily modify the distributor to achieve a variety of timing curves. Included with all Pro Series distributors are four bushings of varied size. The bushing determines the mechanical advance the distributor can achieve. Also included are six springs, with two at each level of tension. The springs control the rate at which the distributor reaches the advance. The function of the advance curve is to match the ignition timing to the burning rate of the fuel and speed (rpm) of the engine. Any factor that changes the burning rate of the fuel or the engine speed can cause a need for an ignition timing change. The rate or how quick the advance comes in is determined by the type of springs, which are installed on the distributor. The Pro Series Distributors are equipped with two Heavy Black springs installed. These will give you the slowest advance curve possible. The parts kit contains two additional sets of springs, which can be used to match the advance curve to your particular application. To change the springs, remove the cap and rotor and use needle-nose pliers to remove the springs. Be sure the new springs seat in the groove on the pin. Locking out the mechanical advance is not necessary for normal operation. This is necessary for some aftermarket fuel systems. Confirm with the manufacture of the fuel management system to confirm.

Recommended Coils are BPP8252BK or BPP82021BK. Not for use with OEM coil.

Optional: BPP64251BK Ignition Box. (For Rev Limit Feature)

Must Bypass ballast Resistor if present.

IMG_7310.png

IMG_7311.png

Ok I see it now. Thanks. But, regardless of WHAT they call it, it ain't HEI. There's only one HEI and that ain't it. That's the same as the MSD ready to run distributor, just Blueprint's version. Probably pretty nice.

You know me you goofball. lol. And yes, you got it. Billet "MSD style" distributors. Same ones we use in the engines, we sell them retail also. We sell a bunch of accessory style parts.
Distributors

They are a Ready to run, stand alone.

1711896331860.png

You know me you goofball. lol. And yes, you got it. Billet "MSD style" distributors. Same ones we use in the engines, we sell them retail also. We sell a bunch of accessory style parts.
Distributors

They are a Ready to run, stand alone.

View attachment 1716229470
They're nice distributors, no doubt. Probably every bit as good as the MSD.

-
Back