Plug change question

-

QWK FSH

Reaction score
I'm not really as much of a wrench rookie as this question implies so don't be to rough on me lol. I'm just one to go into things with as much information as possible.

As you can tell by my post count I am a rookie to this car though. I have a '68 'Cuda with a 440 and Schumacher headers. It looks like the spark plug that's going to be a major pain to change is the passenger side, second one back from the front.

I'm thinking at minimum I'm going to have to remove the alternator. Or, am I going to have raise that side of the motor or both?

Are there any special tools to make this task a little easier?

Thanks!

I'm not really as much of a wrench rookie as this question implies so don't be to rough on me lol. I'm just one to go into things with as much information as possible.

As you can tell by my post count I am a rookie to this car though. I have a '68 'Cuda with a 440 and Schumacher headers. It looks like the spark plug that's going to be a major pain to change is the passenger side, second one back from the front.

I'm thinking at minimum I'm going to have to remove the alternator. Or, am I going to have raise that side of the motor or both?

Are there any special tools to make this task a little easier?

Thanks!

Removing the alternator makes it a lot easier and less things to cut the hands on. I've made up special sockets to handle the drivers bank spark plugs for my 383 with schmachers. Just let your imagination go.

Terry

Removing the alternator makes it a lot easier and less things to cut the hands on. I've made up special sockets to handle the drivers bank spark plugs for my 383 with schmachers. Just let your imagination go.

Terry

Thanks Terry. I'm hoping I don't need to shift the motor up but I'll figure it out!

Hope I'm not too late on this one but at least you can file it away for future reference. Learned this trick on a '68 Cobra Jet Mustang so don't hate me too much. It works on big block A bodies too.
What I did was take a hole saw and cut holes in the inner fenders for plug access. Center punch or drill pilot holes from the engine side on the problem plugs that will line up with the plugs. Cut the access holes with a hole saw (1 1/4" or so) that are big enough to slip a socket through to the plug from the wheel well. Plastic body plugs will fill the holes when they are not in use very nicely. If done properly you have a straight shot to the plug from the wheel well and all you have to do is jack up and remove the front tire. Lots easier than some of the monkey motions I've seen.

Ya know grumpy, that's a dam good idea, glad I thought of it.:-D

Actually the hole only needs to be a bit bigger that the square end of the long extension then snap the socket on after putting the extension through the hole.

Terry

I once had a 66 Nova with 327 that went thru plugs almost as fast a gas. Had Hooker headers, Before the present day Compition games. Changing plugs was a pain but spark plug sockets were cheap. I bought 2 extra and ground them down to different lengths till they fit. Cost about $10 and made my life so easy.
The term Special Tools sounds scary but even Walter P. Chrysler made his own tools.

-
Back