Plug Leaking 727

-

YO7_A66

Reaction score
This plug is leaking and I need to remove it and reseal it. When I remove it, do I need to expect a lot of fluid to pour out or a little bit.

Thanks

IMG_2114.jpeg

I did think about that but I just replaced the front seal and I wanted to pull this plug and reseal it. But I wanted to be ready with a pan if needed. I have the trans tilted upward as far as I can get it before I pull this plug.
Thanks

Last edited:
If you drained the transmission pan, fluid will come out but probably not an overwhelming amount. If the pan is full, I would suggest to drain it before pulling that plug or it will probably leak all over the place.

The pan is full, so I will just try tightening it up to see if it seals up. If not, then I'll drain the pan and reseal it.
Thank you!

Check closely around the plug to make sure that in the past it wasn't twisted in too tight. That is an NPT pipe plug with tapered threads and it twisted in gorilla style it will crack the case. You may not see the crack until it warms up and expands. As I said look very closely, maybe even with a magnifying glass.

I first tried tightening the fitting and it was tight. I then loosened it a little to see how much fluid would come out and when I did, dried up white Teflon fell off of the plug. So I grabbed a rubber plug and shoved that into the hole as I pulled out the pipe plug. I cleaned the old Teflon off of the plug and added some Right Stuff sealant and swapped out the rubber plug with minimal leakage.
I did not see any cracks and I think the leak was caused by the hardened Teflon sealant. But I will check it in a couple of days to see if that fixed it or not.
Thanks for the replies.

That plug holds in the band pivot pin. I always use sealer on the threads of these and never had one leak. If you dont use sealer they usually leak.

I’d give it up to a 1/4 turn or so, tighten by feel. Scrape off whatever sealant you can, use a pick or similar, degrease the area, slap a smear of ultra black over the whole plug and roll. No big deal.

-
Back