Plug wire boots for Schumacher Tri-Y

-

440 Mike

Reaction score
Just wondering what plug wires/boots people like with their Try-Y headers in a big block A-body. Some tubes are pretty close to the plug. What brand and combination of 90, 180, and possibly 135 degree boots have worked for you?

Just wondering what plug wires/boots people like with their Try-Y headers in a big block A-body. Some tubes are pretty close to the plug. What brand and combination of 90, 180, and possibly 135 degree boots have worked for you?

The only wire ends I’ve seen survive that stuff is the wires with ceramic boots.

They’ll take the heat BUT they can be fragile so you have to show some level of soft hands when screwing around with them. Especially if they are pretty warm.

I saw my cousin break not one but two of his because his butter fingers couldn’t hold on to them.

You can get them in Mallory (red only) or Accel (black only AFAIK) and maybe MSD but I forget if they have them or not.

Thanks. Ceramic boots might be the way to go. Some tubes are so tight that I don't think there's enough clearance for a sleeve over a regular boot.

I like the ceramic sets, but I need a combination of 90, 180, and 45 degree boots. I think it's because I have straight plug heads.

Are you using 440 Source Stealth heads with the straight plug?

Schumacher, 440 Source heads, all 90 degree, all wires come from the bottom up, including #7 and #8 which are just flipped at the end to run back down. Only #8 needed a helping hand from a bracket, just to be safe.
Driving with this setup for years.

20190813_180345.jpg

20190813_180354.jpg

Iirc, the passenger side plugs/boots are pretty close to the inner fender, at least with the headers I have, I don't think those 45s would fit, they also look longer before the bend.

-
Back