Plum Crazy 1970 Dart GT

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well it's coming down to the wire. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. My 1970 Dart GT project is getting done. This car is sepecifically built for loooong distance road trips. The first one will be a 5000 mile trip from our home near Tacoma WA, taking the Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Monica, turning left and taking Rt66 to Chicago and (yes, there's more!) taking the Lincoln Highway from Chicago to Philadelphia to hit the the Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle and then Mopar Nats in Ohio. After taking a break, Tina and I will hit those shows again in 2024 and head home by roughly the same route. Today I put the bucket seats and console in place and felt I was getting close enough to post some pictures. Over the next few weeks I will post more pictures of various pieces of the car project, but today as I was working I realized how much folks on FABO have helped me over the course of he last 2 years to make this dream a reality. The car has an A500 4 speed/ lock up Torqueflite and a mild to moderate 318 build.

I have probably forgotten more folks that have helped me than I will be able to remember but here are a few. MoparMatt2000 whose build of his son's car has given me all sorts of ideas. He is a savvy fabricator and more than once I have asked him to replicate some piece that he came up with for his build and sell me a copy. I wanted to use the original console shift, which wouldn't work with a A500, until Matt replicated the offset down rod that he designed. My car originally had manual windshield washers, but I didn't want the chance of having water from the in-car pump from leaking into the floorboards and carpet. That is when I spotted the momentary switch foot pump switch that he designed and was willing to replicate for me. Yep, no hands electric washers!

DSC04485.JPG

A shout out to HalifaxHops who rebuilt my distributor and checked out a couple of ignition boxes for the car as well as being a source of caps, rotors, ballast resistors, etc.

DSC03828.JPG

To TrailBeast whose pictures from his 4 speed auto install inspired this switch box
DSC04484.JPG

I believe it was 4speedragtop who suggested using Velcro to attach the carpet to the console making it easy to remove and replace when adjustments or repairs are needed - genius!

DSC04492.JPG

I have bought tons of parts for the build from a lot of FABO members and have sold a ton of parts here to help fund more parts. I can't begin to count the instances where I have come to understand how something works or have found a great solution to a vexing problem here on FABO that directly informed this effort. I still have plenty to do to finish things up, with the biggest one being a 2 month wait for a A/C-heater system from Classic Air which won't arrive until early February. We are shooting for a June 1st departure with arrival in early July in time for Carlisle. We are putting a web site together so you can all travel along with us.

So a BIG THANK YOU TO FABO and all who have had a hand in making this a success.

DSC00876.JPG

DSC04296.JPG

DSC04489.JPG

DSC04496.JPG

DSC04303.JPG

Last edited:
very sharp!

my car has always been a road tripper and I'm looking to add an OD soon-ish, glad to know that you were able to retain the stock console, I have the same one and can't imagine the look of the car without it.

Wow! Love it! Congratulations on a job well done! You should put the Woodward Dream Cruise on your list (August 19, 2023).

Nice job! You will love the Pacific Coast Highway and Route 66, we did them both on the same trip in our dodge challenger and we loved it! keep in mind while on the coastal highway if you stop along the beach to go exploring, do not leave your car out of your sight very long, break-ins and theft are bad, especially the closer you get to San Francisco. a family we know here stopped just north of San Francisco, and spent some time on the beach, and their vehicle got broken into an all their stuff was taken, they traveled there from Minnesota, all their luggage and everything, really sucked for them. You will be putting way more than 5,000 miles on where you want to go!! BYW, your car is beautiful!!

Very nice job. I like the carpet color. Your rear are rest are on the wrong sides though. Just a friendly heads up

I took the GT out on its first drive around (just 20 miles) and finally got to take some pics outside the garage!!! Nothing blew up!!!

DSC04502.JPG

DSC04503.JPG

DSC04500.JPG

DSC04501.JPG

PS: Thanks to DamRaider for the flip top gas cap adapter!

-
Back