Plum Crazy color ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
The Plum Crazy purple color, were there different colors of it , in different years ?? Was It a slightly different color from year to year ??

It should have stayed the same. I don't think that it was offered for very long...

The modern plum crazy on the new challengers and Chargers is a different mix than the old. The modern has lots of pearl. I think the 70's plum crazy was the same mix all years. I'm doing the modern mix on my 70 swinger.

I was going to ask the same question.Sometimes it looked a lot darker on some cars than others.Maybe a different base coat ? I always liked the darker version better.

When I was buying mine I had to search for a shade of it I liked. Different manufactures PPG, Dupont, etc... they all have different shades of it. Even though they are supposidly mixed the same.

Myself I like the deeper purple color instead of the more pale or pastelly one. What I found out is the size and amount of metal flake that is in the mix made this difference.

Plum Crazy purple came out for 1970. It was a one year only as what I was told. here is the color and I didn't have but one selection. However I think it recently came available on one of the Challengers in the past few years but it has a different shade than the 1970 shade. I am going to repaint this car over the winter again and I was looking at going with the newer shade. not sure yet. I like the old 1970 shade myself.

Attachments

• DSC07121 (Copy).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 806
I was watching a car show the other day and a Challenger came on that was Plum Crazy. My Wife said that I should paint my Dart that color.Told her it would cost more than the White I'm planning.She is ok with opening the savings account a little more in order to do that.Biggest problem is like me she likes the darker shade and I'm not sure a 64 Dart would look good in that color. As you know some colors look good on one car but not that great on another.What do you think ?

When I was buying mine I had to search for a shade of it I liked. Different manufactures PPG, Dupont, etc... they all have different shades of it. Even though they are supposidly mixed the same.

Myself I like the deeper purple color instead of the more pale or pastelly one. What I found out is the size and amount of metal flake that is in the mix made this difference.

The 64 A100 pickup that I bought is "Plum Crazy" at least that's what I was told the color is? But it seems to be a dark version (less silvery ,less metallic) . So I have no idea what companies paint was used, or if it really is plum crazy.
You know that lowes can match house colors with some type of color scope. Do auto paint suppliers have some type of paint color scope ?? or maybe it's some kind of paint scanner.
I like the darker color. But might be tough to match. Without knowing what it is for sure.

Many factors can change the way a color looks. Humidity, air pressure, and spray technique all affect the way a color looks and the metallic lays. If it's sprayed dry or at a higher pressure it will be lighter than if it was sprayed at a low pressure or wetter since the metallic will tend to stay near the top and not 'sink'. Older paint will tend to bleach out a bit with time and sun, especially single stage metallics. Plum Crazy did not hold up very well in most cases and many cars had to be repainted when they were fairly new.

These colors were all single stage when new. Using bc/cc affects the color also as the clear makes the metallic look more pronounced. There are also variations between paint brands. Another factor is the mixing pigments have changed over the years, so there will be a slight variation due to this also.

Yes, there are scanners for automotive paint. Sometimes they get it spot on but the paint store will only guarantee a 'blendable match'.
Dallas

I was going to ask the same question.Sometimes it looked a lot darker on some cars than others.Maybe a different base coat ? I always liked the darker version better.

The reason why the color hues were different was they had 55 gallon drums full of a certain type of paint getting mixed all day and at the beginning of the shift the metal flake was .010 and by the and the end of the shift it was .005 so it broke the metal flake into finer bits..... Hince the darker and lighter shades of the same color. As well as humidity as stated in a proir post can affect paint

70, 71 and it depends on the mix and how the light hits it.

Attachments

• chall.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 611
  • chall70.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 593
  • 10473175_10204430033856647_7359431546227810839_n.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 502
yes, you can go to a body shop and get a color scanned and match it. My son works at a body shop. he can punch in a color and the computer will pull up several of the variances of that color. sometimes you don't have a lot to choose from and sometimes you have a ton. The 70 Plum Crazy was C 7 color. The purple Duster pictured above is a DuPont chromabase paint. Pictured below is the paint code for the newer Plum Crazy purple. There isn't a lot of difference but it is a little different when out in the sun.

Attachments

• DSC07136.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 468
C7 is a elusive color. It depends on what car it's on and the light it is in and of course what product was used. My buddies Cuda has a black billboard stripe and it turns the color into a darker plum instead of lighter purple shade.

Attachments

• 100_4541.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 454
it is hard to get the same shade of plumb crazy on any given day even with the same can of paint .

So are you saying that there are 3 different color formulas ?

Apparently so. This was covered in another thread. Was a surprise to me as well.

Our Plymouth, like Jim's, is Plum Crazy as well. Not sure if the formula is the same as Violet ...

I believe Cuda chick mentioned the same in one of her posts..

Well as a painter this really isn't all that surprising....IF you paint or have painted, the factory remains the type paint used, and the amount of metal flake (IF ANY was added in), and the type of primer, and then base coat, and how MANY coats were used on any one piece being painted....Plus each manufacturer of the paint and pigments used in it each one work differently, so X amount of this or that can lead to "close" but not exact UNLESS mixed all at the same time, by the same person! And even then the painter himself, would have to keep a steady accurate count of how he applied, and how many coats he applied AND how thick or thin EACH COAT was when sprayed....

And then of course in lighting how it hits, and what "shadows" you might have from body recesses and body lines....

Really, there ARE a lot of factors to "match" paint.....

-
Back