Plymouth Feather Duster Questions

-

SaintJ

Reaction score
Hi, I’m still learning the ins and outs of classic cars so I wanted to ask about the possible engines a Feather Duster could have?

I found a 1976 Plymouth Duster for sale that needs some work but I’m looking for a Feather Duster so I wanted to confirm it was one before I inquired about it. I ran the VIN on Hagerty and the first picture is what I got for the options this car could be and then when I ran it again on the MOPAR Decoder, the second picture is what I got.

The thing is that, after looking up specs, I didn’t really see this engine model despite Hagerty’s decoder giving that as an option.

Also when going between the FABO and FBBO forums, I’ve seen discussions about how the Feather Duster only came with a 225 Slant Six, not a 318 V8, so I just wanted to know if the car I’m interested in inquiring about is, in fact, only a standard model 1976 Duster rather than the FD I’m hunting down?

And are there any other ways I could distinguish a Feather Duster model from a standard if I’m not that good at recognizing the visible differences yet? Is there a code I should be looking for?

Thank you for your time!

IMG_5816.jpeg

IMG_6383.jpeg

IMG_6384.jpeg

A magnet will help a lot.

* 1976 only option.
* Slant 6 only engine. It had an aluminum intake manifold.
* Underside hood bracing & underside trunk bracing were aluminum.
* Front & rear bumper reinforcements are aluminum. (It's contoured to fit inside the bumper and is bolted to the "shock absorber" style bumper brackets.)
* If it's a 4-speed, it will have an aluminum case and 4th gear is O.D.

The Dodge version was a Dart Lite based on the Dodge Dart Sport.

There may have been a point where they ran out of specific "Feather" parts. I went to buy a hood/trunk combo from a Feather Duster a while back. While the hood and trunk paint was OEM and matched, the trunk did not have the aluminum underside bracing. So I only bought the hood.

A magnet will help a lot.

* 1976 only option.
* Slant 6 only engine. It had an aluminum intake manifold.
* Underside hood bracing & underside trunk bracing were aluminum.
* Front & rear bumper reinforcements are aluminum. (It's contoured to fit inside the bumper and is bolted to the "shock absorber" style bumper brackets.)
* If it's a 4-speed, it will have an aluminum case and 4th gear is O.D.

The Dodge version was a Dart Lite based on the Dodge Dart Sport.

There may have been a point where they ran out of specific "Feather" parts. I went to buy a hood/trunk combo from a Feather Duster a while back. While the hood and trunk paint was OEM and matched, the trunk did not have the aluminum underside bracing. So I only bought the hood.
Thanks for the tips!

I worked at a Chrysler dealership in 76 and never knew that info. Thanks! You do learn something new every day.

Use the online decoder and websites only as a guide but not for the truth.

As another member stated, the feather duster was only available with a 225. The ‘G’ engine code in your door vin sticker indicates that car came with a 318 from the factory so wasn’t a real feather duster to start with.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.co...rshipDataBook/1976/76-Valiant-Duster_0018.jpg

If the car still has its fender tag (small data plate on the drivers side inner fender apron ahead of the windshield washer reservoir) look for the code ‘A31’ as that would prove it’s a feather duster. I can’t imagine there were many made; did you have one many years ago that you’re trying to find?

Use the online decoder and websites only as a guide but not for the truth.

As another member stated, the feather duster was only available with a 225. The ‘G’ engine code in your door vin sticker indicates that car came with a 318 from the factory so wasn’t a real feather duster to start with.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.co...rshipDataBook/1976/76-Valiant-Duster_0018.jpg
Thank you so much! I clicked the link and realized I already had it open from last night but fell asleep before I could actually look at it. I’m gonna keep it open for my search.

Wow, I didn't know the Feather Duster came with a Automatic too.

Feather Duster/6

Dodge Dart Lite /6

Check the carb, 1 bbl Holley that has a very different shaped booster than the std 1 bbl, people have claimed help get 30 mpg

Also check the exhaust manifold
Outlet, I believe it is larger diameter
Than std

EDIT

Aluminum:
Intake
Hood
Decklid
Bumpers mounts
Bored .030 over
Special cam

Last edited:
You couldn't get A/C with the Feather Duster Package Right?

Dion do you know if you could get A/C with Feather Duster Package?

-
Back