Plymouth TC3

-
I had one back in the 90's. Ours had the 1.8 and a stick. It ran great and handled like a slot car with good tires. Most were 2.2's I think and had head gasket problems between 70 and 80,000 miles. If it's an automatic, it's probably a dog.

I drove a 1.8 (with VW/Audi casting block) manual trans car once in high school.
Wasn't too bad.
Then drove a girlfriend's automatic and couldn't believe it was the same car.

google it ....there is info out there. unless it had a 2.2 and/or a manual they were turds.had a 2.2 84 charger auto, straight turd

They may have turds as for performance but for a point a to point b turd, they were good cars. Were it not for those front wheel drive "turds", the Chrysler corporation might not exist today.

they were basically omni's or horizon's.
they're all right for the most part. They had the same blues that most of all of the 2.2's had. Of course the manual shifts were better. they had a bushing at the end of the shift arm that would break out and cause headaches. I wouldn't be afraid of it, especially if it's in good shape.

They may have turds as for performance but for a point a to point b turd, they were good cars. Were it not for those front wheel drive "turds", the Chrysler corporation might not exist today.
congrats on your 10,000th post StrokerScamp......

I had one of the early ones..maybe an '81?back about 1991.

Mine was a Dodge 024 with a VW 1.7L and a stick. The only things that stand out as being problems were the shifter and the carb.

I bought three of them new....a '79 with a 1.7, an '82 with a 2.2, and an '87 with a 2.2. All were automatics..non A/C... and I never had a serious mechanical problem, although the VW-based 1.7 began to burn oil at 70K. It also need front hub bearings at 50K. I replaced the struts on the '82 at about 100K.

All averaged 30-36 mpg in normal driving. The only recurring problems were outside door handles that stuck and broke. Later models had heavier parts, but they still had problems. Manual transmissions had linkage problems, but Mopar developed improved replacement parts for retrofit.

As far as performance, they were competitive with other 4-bangers of the era. The '87 was the only one I ever took to the track, and it ran 17s...about the same as a slant six in an A-body.

They were especially easy on tires. The OEM Goodyears on the '82 lasted over 90K. All got more than 60K from the OEM tires.

The 2.2 was a great engine, and mine never developed head gasket problems. My daughter drove the '82 for nearly 200,000 miles and it still ran well without burning oil, but the body did begin to give out at that mileage. I never had to do anything to the automatics. I never added a drop of fluid, and never changed fluid or filter.

I never had to replace one, but the Mikuni carburetors were very expensive. I rebuilt the one on the '87 myself, and never had a problem after that.

All in all, I was very happy with them. They were fun and inexpensive to drive and the last two had extremely comfortable seats, though they could have used tilt steering. I would have bought another if they hadn't stopped making them, so I went with a Sundance 2.5, auto, that also proved to be a great car.

-
Back