Po' Boy 360 power

-

bongy337

Just a guy who loves old mopars.
Reaction score
Hello Team Mopar,
Wanted to ask your opinions, since this forum has a wealth of information for Ma Mopar engines. I've been laid off for a couple of months now, and long desire to build a nice 360 with whatever parts I can find CHEAPLY.
I've got a complete 360 from a 1971 Dodge Monaco that my in-laws gave to me. Motor has good compression in all cylinders. No leaks or other problems. The fender tag indicated a E57 setup(2bbl 360 w/727 tranny). I have in my garage a 1970 340 intake manifold, TQ 7322 Carb rebuilt, Summit cheapo 1 5/8 headers, Comp Cams XE262 cam and a pair of "308" heads. My question is how much power would this engine make? I have a 1971 Swinger 2 door that is going to be its new home. I appreciate your input.

I think it will make more torque probably nearing 400 ft/lbs. I had a stock low compression 360 with a comp 270 magnum hydraulic cam with late model smogger heads. I forget the casting number but they were not ported. it made 297 hp at the rear wheels. The car ran 12.80s at 3200 pounds with a 904 2200 stall and 4.56 gears. I am not familiar with the 308s.

Mill the heads at least .020 and use a shim head gasket, pocket port the 308 and match the intake runner, carb # is on the base rear, 7322 is not right but if its a pre 75 carb your in good shape. you should be at 350 give or take 20 HP.

BTW don't spend money on a intake, that 70 intake you have ( assuming its a 71 t-quad intake) is a very good manifold, heavy but flows very close to the aftermarket intakes.

When fitting the carb to the manifold, you might need an adapter, 70 and older intakes were flanged for AVS or AFBs. 71 and newer would be flanged for a TQ. Otherwise the intakes are the same from what I have seen. Of course if you are going by the casting date a 70 might be for model year 71 which should be a TQ intake.

Hello Team Mopar,
Wanted to ask your opinions, since this forum has a wealth of information for Ma Mopar engines. I've been laid off for a couple of months now, and long desire to build a nice 360 with whatever parts I can find CHEAPLY.
I've got a complete 360 from a 1971 Dodge Monaco that my in-laws gave to me. Motor has good compression in all cylinders. No leaks or other problems. The fender tag indicated a E57 setup(2bbl 360 w/727 tranny). I have in my garage a 1970 340 intake manifold, TQ 7322 Carb rebuilt, Summit cheapo 1 5/8 headers, Comp Cams XE262 cam and a pair of "308" heads. My question is how much power would this engine make? I have a 1971 Swinger 2 door that is going to be its new home. I appreciate your input.
I ran the same engine trans combination in my 72 dart ten years ago. Completely stock as removed from a Polara. With 4.10 gears and a 28" slick it ran 13.90's @ about 100mph. Changed to a Holley 500 two barrel, went 13.60,s @ 102. Most consistent combination I ever ran. "X" or "J" heads are stock on this engine. A cam, valve spring, intake and carb change will knock a second off the et easy. Sell the 308's and use the money for gears/slicks.

X's on a 72 model year engine, not likely. The X's were done for in early 70 model year and everything after that had the 915 "j" head.

I agree that engine should have a 915 "J" head.

j, o, u, n, were all the same basic head.

When fitting the carb to the manifold, you might need an adapter, 70 and older intakes were flanged for AVS or AFBs. 71 and newer would be flanged for a TQ. Otherwise the intakes are the same from what I have seen. Of course if you are going by the casting date a 70 might be for model year 71 which should be a TQ intake.

Correction:
It turns out the intake IS from a 1971 340 engine casting number : 3512100
and the carb is a Thermoquad 6322 -S

-
Back