Point me to parts & rebuild kits etc.? '66 Signet /6

-

hellfirechrome

Reaction score
My Signet has a really strong /6 225 904 PS Manual drums, SBP. Sold her last year, but then bought the car back from the guy! After a full tune-up I find that the car's as eager as ever to hit the road. I gotta do some things first, so I'd love some points towards reputable sellers/good deals for the following stuff. Where would you guys go? I don't trust Ebay much.

I need:
-Front end rebuild kit (complete)- polygraphite type preferred?
-Front drums- brake rebuild kits (will have shop turn drums/install, mine are weak/fadey)
-Carburetor air filter mounting post, A-shape with bolt (Holley 1920)
-Motor and trans mounts
-Shocks (kyb gas?)

Thanks in advance!
-Hunter

The motor mounts you want, if you never want to have to think about them again, are here.

Buy Koni or Billstein shocks for the same reason.

Carburetor air cleaner bail is going to be a "go fish" used item; you need to specify whether you have the small (~9") or the large (~11") diameter air cleaner.

If it's time for a brake job, it's a great time to think about a brake upgrade; 4-wheel drums, particularly the A-body basic-equipment 9" items, are marginal at best when in perfect condition. Not worth putting money into them; get discs or at least(!) 10" drums.

The urethane vs. rubber front end bushing debate won't be ending any time soon; you're on your own to decide what your priorities are, but if you're still mousing around with 9" drum brakes at all four corners, you've got a long list of things to upgrade before poly bushings even start to be worth discussing.

I tend to buy my front-end parts and kits from ESPO.

Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. Also check the Fuel line mod and HEI upgrade . See here for other parts sources.

Wow! A lot to cover there! OK so here's what the '66 has now:

-Rebuilt carb (total reman., by a great shop here in Richmond, CA)
-MSD 6AL, along with complete replacement of all ignition parts just the other day (with the 6AL, it's smoooooth)
-Gutted, fully gone-through rear diff. and brakes (those 7.25's do last if you don't race)
-Rblt master, replaced front brake shoes (crappy pads it seems, but ok for now)
At 130k it runs really nice and has a lot of life, but yeah I can feel at least the trans mount is shot and it needs shocks before anything else.

My long-term goal is a firm front suspension, front discs (small bolt to keep my rallys), and some basic rework on the engine's top end (intake, carb, head, exhaust). All bolt-on stuff basically. I know the poly front end is firmer and that's worth the extra few bucks now, I'll do it with the shocks & alignment (and 2 fresh tires up front!).

So, I suppose since the brakes are good enough, I will use 'em till I lose 'em (several SBP disc kits I have found, that's outta my price range till summer). I appreciate the tune-up articles as well, perhaps I can squeeze a couple more MPG outta this thing!

So it seems like all my questions have been answered! Oh, and I know the MSD boxes are very HEI friendly so that's a good thing too!

Keep in mind that you don't need poly bushings to have a firm suspension.

Good shocks in conjunction with larger torsion bars work great in my Swinger and don't rattle my teeth. VERY controlled ride and handling. Bilstein shocks, .890 torsion bars, 2" drop, and all rubber bushings except for poly strut rod bushings. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with 1"+ torsion bars.

Good luck!

Suspension wise, I would call ESPO. That's where I bought the parts for my 65. They made me a good deal on OEM type parts in a mix-match kit (11/16 tie rod ends/sleeves, larger ball joints). My plans are for a nice handling, smooth riding street driver. Here's the pile of parts I have so far: .870 T-bars, repro HD leaf springs, Addco sway bars, and Bilstein shocks. I also rebuilt a manual box with a 20:1 worm/nut. The Addco sway bar mounting leaves a little to be desired, but nothing that can't be taken care of with a welder.

Brakes wise, don't even think about keeping the 9" drums. They were "weak/fadey" when new, and that's being kind. The 65-72 K-H small bolt disk setup would be a great upgrade. Upgrade the master cylinder and plumbing to 68-up dual circuit while your at it (important).

Carburetor air filter mounting post, A-shape with bolt (Holley 1920) send me shipping and a few$ back when ya git em, sent you the gasket and the proper wingnut also :) ..........Wagg's

-
Back