Point Settings

-

Hedgetrimmer

Reaction score
My brother and I are working on my '65 Valiant this afternoon, trying to get this baby back on the road. Does anybody know the ignition point settings?

hedgetrimmer i don't know what the point settings are but if you have the service manual it will be it there. owners manual may also have this information as well. the first thing you need to do when you get the money is to upgrade to h.e.i ignition for that car. it will solve 90% of the problems you are haveing. older style ignitions are very finiky. car will run, start, and drive better. just my 2 cents....

Thanks,fellas. We found out it was 17,000. The car still won't catch. I posted a thread on the fuel forum, as I was certain it was the carburetor. We put in a brand-new battery, replaced the rotor button, points and plugs, but the car still won't catch. I called the store to see about returning the carb and trying another one. Man-oh-man, this car is giving me the blues.

jumped timing? i'd check it to see if it has jumped timing. has the distributer been moved or taken out? just because the points are set at the correct setting dosen't mean they aren't burn't or corroded. how did they look?

You never told us what motor you are working on.

I had the dist out of my 318 recently,after installing it it wouldnt start.Took the dist back out rotated it 180 deg and it fired right up.

Have you checked for spark? Did you replace the condensor? Is the distributor loose?

Yeah, we replaced the condensor. I'm still skeptical that it's an ignition problem. Today I was messing with it, adjusting the carb and turning it over, and the car would catch and idle for about 3-5 seconds and then just die back down. It kept doing this over and over. I called the shop that has done work on it in the past. They said it sounds like rust in the gas tank fouling the carb. The guy who towed me home last week said the same thing. I might just go ahead and put it in the shop and let them take a look at it.

I think you may be on the right track! Do you see the powdered red stuff in your fuel fiter? Can you run a hose from the fuel line to a bucket and have someone crank it over? You should see the flow drop off pretty quick if it's sucking rust. You should be able to see rust in the float bowl of the carb as well.

put a vacuum gauge on the pump and see if it is giving a 4.5 in reading when it pulses. if so, fuel pump is good. take a plug wire off and hold it 1/4" from the engine and have someone crank it over, see spark? pour a bit of fuel down the carb and fire it up. anything? you need to decipher if it is fuel or spark, then narrow it down from there.

-
Back