Points wiring question

-

olddog12

Reaction score
So I have the electrical manual for my car downloaded and have a question, its a 318 and has points. The distributor has 1 wire, that goes to the + side of the coil?? then all of the remaining electrical would be the same as on the wiring diagram after that? That seems to easy tho.

That 1 wire from dist' goes on (-) side of coil. Wire from ballast resistor goes on (+) side of coil.

Don't forget that on a points car, that circuit is live in start and run, same as the later cars, but if you are working on the engine with the ignition switch in run,then if the points are closed they will be pulling electrons through the circuit,draining the battery,and frying the contacts. This situation doesn't arise very often, but it is good to keep it in mind, like when troubleshooting electrical issues. The simple cure is to disconnect the supply-line between the coil and the ballast resistor. Just remember to plug it back together when finished!

^^Listen^^ Don't leave the switch on with engine stopped. Even with a Mopar breakerless this is a bad idea, because eitiher points or Mopar ECU, the coil draws current with switch on, in the case of the points if they happen to be closed

One final note. Originally there is a capacitor (condenser) bolted to the side of the coil. This is for radio noise, partially, and should be hooked to the POSitive coil terminal

There is a condenser/ cap in the distributor. It is NOT only to protect the points. It also forms the spark. Most cars will not start and run if the cap in the distributor is bad.

You don't say what year? your car is? So how are we to know what you are looking at for a wiring diagram? In think in 72, breakerless was optional.

Thanks Del,
I did a quick google search and I see what you are talking about. I will get one of those as well.

Thanks guys!

Thanks Del,
I did a quick google search and I see what you are talking about. I will get one of those as well.

Thanks guys!

Get one of those what?
The external capacitor,"cap",(the one on the coil) is for radio static suppression.You only need one,if you are listening to the AM radio.Without it you get a lot of static popping noises coming out of your little 4 x 10. And the static keeps time with the engine rpm. Sounds like an old sewing machine on steroids. Cool eh?
You got AM? You still listen to AM? Do you even have a radio?lol I haven't listened to AM radio since 1980ish.How about FM? IDK I've never had.
I have a radio just to fill the hole in my dash, but I have never hooked it up, in the 16 years the car has been on the road. Am radio is like head lice. I hate headlice, and I hate everybody elses headlice, too.lol. Ok, not lol. I said like headlice; I've never had 'em but, well, you get the picture. I'm no fan of teenie-boppers banging out the tunes, forcing everyone around them to put up with their boom-boom rap-crap. I mean their "music". One day I might put cut-outs on, just for them! But, I digress
lol

Okay.
My bad, the way I read the post I was under the impression I would need a capacitor. However after reading your reply it would appear not as I do not nor intend to listen to AM in the near future.

-
Back