Polishing Paint

-
looks great!!! the meguiars ultimate line does contain a bit of fillers in the polish so after a month or 2 you may start seeing some of the swirls again. but it does look really good man!!!

looks great!!! the meguiars ultimate line does contain a bit of fillers in the polish so after a month or 2 you may start seeing some of the swirls again. but it does look really good man!!!
It's gonna take me all weekend to do this. ..especially with my bad back and frequent breaks.....

Jeff

I have used comet 2 times, both were to remove full car heavy oxidation off of single stage paint because it clogs up a detailing pad something bad.

I did say in certain in certain circumstances. Evidently it worked for you as a first step in an assessment. My point exactly. LOL

old dealer detailing trick........doesn't say much about the trick, no dealer i have ever been to has been able to properly detail a car.

Never said it was the end step. We all know dealers do the bare minimum to get one over the curb in most cases.

it should never be used on a clear coat. ever........

Painted cars my whole life, detailing fresh paint, bit of a different ball game. Any paint job only has so much mil thickness to work with before you are through it. Newsflash, clear coat is single stage paint, only you can see through it. It breaks down and oxidizes like any other, and responds to the same methods. Single stage metallics are the ones to worry about.

dont sand it down with comet.....LOL

Comet is less abrasive then most compounds. As with any abrasive method, common sense would dictate not to do it as a weekly touchup.

I did say in certain in certain circumstances. Evidently it worked for you as a first step in an assessment. My point exactly. LOL

Never said it was the end step. We all know dealers do the bare minimum to get one over the curb in most cases.

Painted cars my whole life, detailing fresh paint, bit of a different ball game. Any paint job only has so much mil thickness to work with before you are through it. Newsflash, clear coat is single stage paint, only you can see through it. It breaks down and oxidizes like any other, and responds to the same methods. Single stage metallics are the ones to worry about.

Comet is less abrasive then most compounds. As with any abrasive method, common sense would dictate not to do it as a weekly touchup.
now your splitting hairs, basecoat clearcoat is 2 stage, where single stage is just all in one. you know what i was referring to when i said single stage. and my follow up to the comet was to explain that it is not to be used as a "wash"as another member stated. you cant do comet without polishing, and still, 99% of the time compounding is better to use from my experiences.

let go of the past, use dawn and comet inside the house, not outside........LOL

ps. flow-coating was the best technique to learn when painting for me.........haven't wetsanded since. well except for the occasional mistake....LOL

cant us delaware people just get along :p.
anyways not to turn this into a back an fourth anymore, we were all just trying to help the guy out with his first detailing experience. i think he is getting it done, and pretty well :)

now your splitting hairs, basecoat clearcoat is 2 stage, where single stage is just all in one. you know what i was referring to when i said single stage. and my follow up to the comet was to explain that it is not to be used as a "wash"as another member stated. you cant do comet without polishing, and still, 99% of the time compounding is better to use from my experiences.

ps. flow-coating was the best technique to learn when painting for me.........haven't wetsanded since. well except for the occasional mistake....LOL
A good buffer will make a for great painter lol. ok,ok, I'll leave the Ajax on the shelf, but imma still bust out the comet for ol' nasty boat.

Curiosity is killing the cat here, what is flow-coating? Running the paint from top to bottom?

Comet,
Not that much different then what we used to call a compound bath. Used ol' Tiger Cut lacquer rubbing compound, Bon Ami, Comet. When you pull your wash mit out the bucket load it with compound and go to scrubbing. Works wonders on a light colored car that's been stained up. Done in 20 minutes and skip the whole compounding step, straight to polishing. It's an old school dealer toss it on the lot trick. It works. I still do it. Works great on fiberglass rv's boats etc.

Don't knock it till you tried it. Great detailing trick that can save a ton of time in the right circumstance. Not much different then pushing a clay bar and less abrasive then buffing with compound.

Funny how the ones who knock it have never tried it, but think they know all about everything in the world and go on to profess their ignorance to all who will foolishly listen. I wonder how many other things in life they meet with contempt before investigation. A sad way to live indeed.

Curiosity is killing the cat here, what is flow-coating? Running the paint from top to bottom?
thinning the clear so it goes down slick. Some clears can be reduced and others it's not recommended and over reducing can cause other problems.

Last edited:
Funny how the ones who knock it have never tried it, but think they know all about everything in the world and go on to profess their ignorance to all who will foolishly listen. I wonder how many other things in life they meet with contempt before investigation. A sad way to live indeed.
try your own advice sometime......LOL

comet is not a car wash as was originally described. it will cause marring that needs polishing

thinning the clear so it goes down slick. Some clears can be reduced and others it's not recommended.
Bingo! :)

i use mostly house of Kolor paints and clears, the older clears were not VOC and were very very hard clears. were a pain to wetsand and polish. flow coating was almost a must with them. made life easier, still does :)

Understood, I like to shoot any last coat on thinned out, turn the pressure up and let the paint fly.
Sometimes depending on weather conditions, it can back-fire on you, drying too slow, sucking in moisture, but most of the time it lays like glass.

i use mostly house of Kolor paints and clears, the older clears were not VOC and were very very hard clears. were a pain to wetsand and polish. flow coating was almost a must with them. made life easier, still does :)

Yeah, you're in De also and have to deal with the voc compliant stuff. The stuff doesn't even seem to flash evenly.

try your own advice sometime......LOL

comet is not a car wash as was originally described. it will cause marring that needs polishing

No, it's never had that effect on any vehicle I've ever used it on in over 30 years. You are simply wrong, and giving your opinion about something you have no experience with.

Yes, out of all the paint lines I've cut/rubbed, House Of Color Flow Clear is the best

Ok...did about 1/2 the car.....what a *****...but it's coming out great!

Jeff
Right on Jeff! Yes it takes time but it will be worth it when you step back after your all done and see how bitchin the Barracuda will look! And you can say you did yourself, win win

Right on Jeff! Yes it takes time but it will be worth it when you step back after your all done and see how bitchin the Barracuda will look! And you can say you did yourself, win win

Thanks. ....and on the cheap too!

Here's the reflection on the front end. ....I'm happier..!

20170317_192014.jpg

20170317_192028.jpg

20170317_192037.jpg

No, it's never had that effect on any vehicle I've ever used it on in over 30 years. You are simply wrong, and giving your opinion about something you have no experience with.
If you would have read you would have seen i have used it, therefore I know what it does, you simply don't know what to look for obviously. Tell any professional detailer, they will all give you the same answer. But I've only been painting and detailing cars for 17 years. Do whatever you want to your own vehicles. But when you publicly post things that will harm your paint as advice to others is what I find wrong. It's OK I now realize you're stubborn and unwilling to let go of past bad habits......comet away my friend.....comet .....away....

I'm into this about $28.......wouldn't want to do this for a living though!

Jeff
Hey Jeff, its looking pretty good man!!! are you doing all of this by hand? (hand takes forever to do right, with a porter cable i would average 10 or so hours to detail a full car, with the flex i could cut that down to 5 or 6 hrs, an rotary even less) if so yeah its gonna take a while, alot of work!!! if you get serious about detailing a porter cable 7424xp is a great starting point, it can be frustrating at first, but with the PC's its more about learning how to not bog out the machine. once you do that it works really well. My current fav polisher is the FLEX XC3401. its a great machine lots of power, hard to bog out, its about 3 times the cost of the PC, but if you get serious about detailing its worth the money, it can fix alot of things that i needed a rotary to do before. Rupes also makes a great polisher too.

anyways brother, keep at it, looking good. if you ever have questions pm me, i will try to help you in the right direction!

Kris

Hey Jeff, its looking pretty good man!!! are you doing all of this by hand? (hand takes forever to do right, with a porter cable i would average 10 or so hours to detail a full car, with the flex i could cut that down to 5 or 6 hrs, an rotary even less) if so yeah its gonna take a while, alot of work!!! if you get serious about detailing a porter cable 7424xp is a great starting point, it can be frustrating at first, but with the PC's its more about learning how to not bog out the machine. once you do that it works really well. My current fav polisher is the FLEX XC3401. its a great machine lots of power, hard to bog out, its about 3 times the cost of the PC, but if you get serious about detailing its worth the money, it can fix alot of things that i needed a rotary to do before. Rupes also makes a great polisher too.

anyways brother, keep at it, looking good. if you ever have questions pm me, i will try to help you in the right direction!

Kris

Yup....all hand work. ..it's brutal!
I will finish it today and pay for it tomorrow!
I don't plan on doing this again any time soon.....
I will say it's totally worth the $28 investment.

Jeff

I just used a griotos orbital buffer with there compounds on my black car. Used a orbital buffer instead of a rotary buffer so I would not cut through the clear.

-
Back