Poll: Which End of the Garage is the "Back" and Why?

Per the explanation below, is the wall with the door going into house the BACK or FRONT of Garage?

• Back

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Front

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I have had this discussion with a lot of people. I know this is a 'who cares' question, but it might be fun. Here is the question:
You are standing in the large opening of the garage (the opening you actually drive your car through) and looking straight ahead at the wall at the other end of the garage where, most likely, the door going into the house is. Is the wall you are looking at (the one with the door going onto the house) the Back or Front of the garage?

It seems obvious to me that the wall with the door going into the house is the BACK of the garage. After all, the large opening you drive the car through is at the FRONT of the house. Plus, when I pull into the garage, the wall in front of me just seems to me that I am driving towards BACK of the garage.

My Garage is on the Back of the House, so to me what You say still applies. The Back of the Garage is on the Front of My House! :D
But! The Door going into the House is on the Right-Side in the Garage which is Absolutely Not the Back of the Garage.
So, I can't answer your Poll Question because in My case. It is neither. It is the Side.

jhjhgjhg.jpg

Last edited:
I like to enter from the rear. So I’ll play devils advocate and say the entrance to the garage is the rear of the garage, the entrance to the house from the garage is the front.

First place you drive a vehicle in is the front, the opposing wall is the back

I hope this thread doesn't get bounced to NP. It might get ugly?

Regardless of poll results we'll never truly get a consensus on this. It's just too confusing, at least it appears to be with my setup.
The front of my house faces the street, which is south. The overhead-door side of my garage faces the alley; that's north. Most approach my garage from the front of the house, but by the "drive in" definition, my house and garage would be back to back. I either say "walk-through door side" or "overhead door side", or for friends very famliar with my house, "north wall' or "south wall" because even they wonder exactly what I mean when I say "back wall"--which to me, inherently means the one furthest from the overhead door.

My garage is separate, but the back has the service door, so I drive in the front door.

The door used to enter the garage with the car notates the front as it's part of the garage's structure. The door used to enter the garage from the house is not considered part of the garage.

WHAT IF YOU HAVE a drive through garage? What THEN? LOLOL

View attachment 1716073886
I got one of those too! Old house, single garage, knocked out the back wall, put up a garage door, built a two stall with a shop and storage behind it in the back yard. Should have built a four stall, lol.
No doors to the house, so only one back wall.

I kind of think of as both ways, if were just talking about the building I generally call the bay door the front of the garage but as a work space my main tools and main work area would be at the back wall but to me be front of the shop, so it depends if I was talking about the building or work space.

if you're at the parts counter and the person there says: "yeah we got that, let me get it from the back" they don't walk up to the front where you came in do they?

-
Back