Poly- urethane motor mounts"?

-

sabre67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking at poly-urethane engine mounts. Anyone try them ? Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks......sabre67

I have them. They work fine for me on a street driven car. Durometer can vary so some of them can be more harsh than rubber mounts. Look for ones that have a locking mechanism. They typically don't collapse like rubber ones can.

can be more harsh than rubber mounts.
Over the years I have done a bunch of cars with them.
I have them in my 63 Belvedere now. Yes you will feel more vibration over rubber.
Now my car has no under coat or any insulation of any kind.Was to be a drag car but now is street only.I had a poly transmission mount in it too but swapped
it out for rubber to lessen the vibration.Other than that they are good to use. Well maybe not on a Chrysler Imperial.

Put Shumacher poly mounts on my 408 Duster. Way too much vibration (everything that COULD rattle did) so went back to rubber. The poly mounts were also a little higher than rubber, so had to adjust my fan shroud to clear the fan.

I have them in my Duster, along with a poly trans mount, they are fine.
Todays re-pop rubber is garbage, it does not last.

How smoothly does you motor run? How much do you drive your car? How much vibration are you willing to put up with? What are you getting in exchange for this? I use poly bushings for my sway bar and some suspension bushings but never where vibration would be transmitted to the frame.

I have been told by my racing buddies never to use poly or solid motor mounts and poly or solid trans mount on an aluminum case transmission...

I have poly spool mounts on the 340 in my Duster and at the T56 transmission mount, never had an issue with them and engine vibration hasn’t been an issue. The engine mounts have been in my car since the 340 went in, and I was running a poly mount with the 4 speed before the T56. Over 30k miles on the engine mounts so far.

Poly here, engine and 727, Love it! Also did all the leaf spring bushings and eye ones. Absolutely dig it. I like a nice tight setup though that's just me

How smoothly does you motor run? How much do you drive your car? How much vibration are you willing to put up with? What are you getting in exchange for this? I use poly bushings for my sway bar and some suspension bushings but never where vibration would be transmitted to the frame.

I have been told by my racing buddies never to use poly or solid motor mounts and poly or solid trans mount on an aluminum case transmission...
What I've been what I've been told is don't mix and match the solid and the rubber. You WILL break something. And it's not just going to be a motor mount it's going to be something that's going to ruin your day and probably the next few weeks after that..

I think extra vibes come from the engine balance, as in was you engine rebuilt and balanced, stock or rbuilt with out balancing. Motors I've rebuilt that were all balanced didn't vibrate much more with Poly than stock with rubber. Again, durometer will dictate the vibration outcome.

I think extra vibes come from the engine balance, as in was you engine rebuilt and balanced, stock or rbuilt with out balancing. Motors I've rebuilt that were all balanced didn't vibrate much more with Poly than stock with rubber. Again, durometer will dictate the vibration outcome.
I've seen motors with rubber jump around and Shake more than what mine does with Polly but then again the bottom end was done by an Army Aviation mechanic, he worked on helicopters and he had a 10-second Street drivable Dart! He had a Stash of 340s, Boy Lemme tell Ya!

So if i go poly on motor ,then match it with poly on the727 right?
I Would! You definitely do not want to use steel motor mounts on the engine and put a rubber mount on the transmission that's a big time no no! Now don't quote This is Gospel but I think you may be able to use a steel motor mount on the driver's torque side and use rubber on the passenger side and the transmission but I don't know for sure I seen remember and I remember saying he had success with that

Using Polybushings.com mounts on my Dart. The exhaust rattles when sitting at a stop, but I think that's mostly something I need more exhaust mounting points to fix. Other than that, it's fairly smooth.

-
Back