Pontiac Gone

-
oh well wont be missed

well i wouldn't be so quick to say this. pontiac is and has been a performance division. when they are gone gm will slowly look at killing off all performance cars execpt for maybe corvett. when this happens performance will slid off the table for all auto divisions (ford, chrysler) then what will be left? box cars! i read alittle while ago that pontiac outsold buick, and cadiliac. that being said why kill it off? gm (goverment motors) i think that the answer lies there.....

Yup what once was Smokey and the Bandit is now Fast and Furious.
I can imagine Fully Charged and Falkin Crazy in our future with junk like Smart Car and circus clowns.
To close Pontiac before building the T/A is just another bad decision by GM

I have no problem with the looks of that black Trans Am, I think that is a good looking car. I have always been a fan of Pontiac styling especially models from the 60s. I always thought their front ends were nice looking for the most part.
I would have a hard time saying no to a 66 or 67 GTO, or Lemans, also liked the Tempest.

It Stinks! I came of age in a 75 Lemans, beat the daylights out of that car and it never failed me. Had 69 GTO, 70 Ram air Formula, 78 Bandit, I agree with above comments on the new TA looked much better than the Camaro. Unfortunatley Pontiac hasn't built excitement in a long time, the new GTO missed it style wise (had a great driveline) and what else have they really (or GM as a whole) really brought to the market? Solstices, Azteks, G 1234678's Exactly why they are in this position. Still a sad day-Long live Pontiac!

Sad to see!Many memories when I had my 69 GTO,s(had 2 when I was young and wid)Here,s a pic of the disco days..

Hey what happen to pic.?

gto.JPG

Bumer, felt the same when it happened to Plymouth. The auto industry is run by GREED. They are a major player in the recession we face today. Americans started loosing jobs during the Industrial Revolution due to greedy executives who wanted to make more $$$$$$$$.

It just seems as though the brands at the latter half of the alphabet are doomed!
Plymouth
Oldsmobile
Pontiac....
Apparently it all starter with the Yugo??? :D

GM announced it today that Pontiac will be no more. It is sad, but I could see it coming as Pontiac was not going to make it as a niche brand. No I know what my Olds and Plymouth friends felt.

GM announced it today that Pontiac will be no more.

Heard it too on the noontime news while running some errands. Got a die-hard Pontiac friend who still owns a 64 GTO he received as a high school graduation present - I know he's probably sick at the thought.

I heard the News when I was at a Mopar Swap on TV in February...I owned a 67 Firebird Convertable and Several other GTO's Firebirds Trans Ams and others...I was VERY saddened by the news..My Brother now owns the 400 Firebird Vert with 57000 Original miles...Resale Red with Red Int and White Top/Boot....

SAD SAD SAD:angel11:

SS

ya but really what is the last cool pontiac ? ?

they only quit making the firebird/TA a few years ago.....in 2002-03 I think? Friend has an 02 Trans-Am NHRA edition, ram air, 5.7, 6 speed, runs low 13s all day stock on street tires, still gets over 20mpg going down the highway and doesnt look bad for a newer car. I am not a huge pontiac fan but, that car will keep up with my duster without a problem, and blow me out of the water on top end

If You Think About It, Whats Really Left That Is Pontiac? They Have Been Using Chevrolet Engines For Their Performance Cars For The Last Few Years. I Think The Main Problem With The Big-3, They Never Made Room Or Took Them Serious For All The New Mfg's That Came To Market In Last 15 Years. That Market Share Had To Come From Someone. It Came From The Big-3. It Seems That The Big-3 Was Just Going To Wait Them Out. It Didn't Happen. They Didn't Really Do Anything To Retain Their Market Share. Although I'm Not A Pontiac Guy, I Do Feel For Them. The Car Companies Are Like The Wall Street Crooks, They Never Looked At The Future. I Do Think That Greed Did Play A Huge Part In This. They Were Satisfied With A Incomplete Car Line As Long As There Was A Cash Cow In It. As Much As I Dislike The Toyota Bunch, They Seemed To Always Have A Complete Line Of Profitable Cars & Trucks, Instead Of One Or Two Cash Cows. This Must Be What It Felt Like To My Dad, When He Lost Packard, Studebaker, Hudson, & Other Vintage Makes. Of Course, It Was The Big-3 That Created That Concern.

As a ('67) Firebird owner, I remove my hat and hold it over my heart. As a ('72) Duster owner, I done the same a while back.
RIP Pontiac...
Cal Hyer

I hate to see the domestic auto industry do down the tubes. What the hell will we make in this country?

Mexican babies, of course.

Im 20 years old and the first car I had for daily driving was an Olds, way before I got into Mopars. Too sad to see when G.M. killed the brand a couple of years ago, now the same with Pontiac.

I dont get it. What on earth is going on? Back in the 60's and 70's there were more models at each division of the big three and they were cars made with quality and pride. How many 70's Jap-car you see around these days? Their industry was not that developed but now it is, it still doesn't gets off the fact that American manufacturing means better quality.

I think is a matter of culture. I'd rather be paying more for gas than for parts for a broken gas-sipping Honda. If we buy American the industry by demand will develop in a better way.

I,m up in Canada,G.M closed the Camaro Plant in Quebec and said that was the end of the Camaro!Can you imagine the people that lost their jobs then?Then out of the blue a couple years go by,bang the Camaros back,being built in the states now!I feel for the guys(21,000)is gonna turn into 210,000 familys.Watch and see!

Guys I dont want to sound ugly, and I know a lot of good employees will lose their jobs. And that is terrible. But I didnt see any one rescue all the other businesses that fold up every day. All the auto industry needs to do is fire the executives making over 2 million dollars a year, get rid of the planes and everything else that is not needed. Bad management will shut you down in a heart beat. And YES I hate to see Pontiac go down. Their not the first and wont be the last. At one point or another I bet everyone on this web site has worked for a business that shut down. I know I have.

-
Back