Poo poo manifold gasket??

-

Blackhatguy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just started my 5.9 up for the first time tonight, and boy do I have some issues to clear up. Timing of course, and carb settings, got some backfire sounds like an a.k. going off..

But mostly what I need input on is the gallon of coolant in my oil pan.....

I have the magnum heads, and the speedpro rpm knockoff, and the gaskets are the graphite composites that came in the 5.9 gasket set from felpro. Got coolant runing down the front of the motor on the outside and also into the valley. Got about a gallon sitting in the pan now.

Going to pull the manifold and drain the oil in the morning, and I'm looking for y'alls input on how to keep this from happening again.. Different gaskets? Check the flange square? Glue the hell out of it?

Poor seating timing chain cover with allow coolant to run into the pan. Was this a complete rebuild? Did you assemble it yourself?

Jake

Complete rebuild, and it's definitely coming from the water crossover, driver front. Everything is tourqed to spec, and lined up right; I'm thinking either it's the manifold/gasket combo, or warped manifold. I will find out for sure in the morning.

Get it apart and post up pictures of everything. Preferably good pictures.

poo poo? Seriously?

Is it an LA with magnum heads? Or magnum block and heads.

Magnums don't have intake dowels (that I know of) but LA engines do. They have to be removed from the China walls so the intake can sit flat.

Magnum engine, donor was a 2001 van. Everything *seemed* like it went together by the book..

Dowel pins in the block to align the heads properly?

Hmmm.... how to get all the coolant out of the inside. Pull the oil filter 1st and cut it open to see if the coolant got sucked into the oiling system; with that much in there, it almost seems inevitable. Look very carefully; small amounts might get absorbed into the filter media and not be readily apparent. Then I would pull the pan to get it cleaned and also pull the pump to clean the pickup and to look inside the oil pump to look for coolant as a double check on the filter.

That is a big worry...

Ok, I come back here humbled. My dumb *** didn't put any rtv on the motor during assembly. I had my handy dandy scraper at the ready when I pulled the manifold, and there was nothing to scrape!!
So, its back together now (with rtv this time), and passed the leakdown test

-
Back