Poor Gas Mileage

-

Grasshopper

Reaction score
I just got my 71 Sacmp 225/6 back on the road. I am only getting 13 miles per gallon (between St and highway use). I have added new points ,condensor, cap,rotor, carb, plugs, exhaust manifold, and more.What can I do to increase mileage? The engine idles smoothly at low rpm`s and the car eases into gear. How many MPG`s should I be getting?

You should be getting way better than that. Check your advance unit in the distributor to see if you're getting full vacumn timing. The diaphragm may have a leak in it.

.. or , you may be dumping fuel due to a sunk or stuck float. i was getting around 20+ with mine

Take out the 4.88 gears and the 500 lbs. of stuff out of the trunk.

Just kidding:D. You say you got it back on the road. If it set for quite a while you might check the brake system for any drag that could've developed. Tires inflated enough? Timing/advance as stated above? I agree 13 mpg with some highway included is not good.

It is time for a carburetor cleaning and rebuild, and inspect mechanical advance weights for freedom of movement, and check the ability of vacuum advance diaphragm to hold vacuum. Once timing is adjusted, mechanical advance is working correctly, vacuum advance is right, and carburetor freshened you should see better fuel economy.

I agree with previous poster’s advice on going over the brake system. Be sure those brakes are operating at 100%, nothing less is inviting expensive problems.

I got 21 mpg hwy regularly in my 69 slant. Haven't driven my 64 slant much yet. I stopped fooling with points long ago and convert all my cars to electronic ignition. Cost ~$20 to put HEI in a slant once you find an e-distributor (73+? cars). Run the most spark advance you can without pinging going hard up hills.

When the exhaust was off did you check that the "heat riser" is not stuck closed? You don't need it in CA and can block off the shaft holes. Stuck open is OK too. To test for an exhaust restriction, put a vacuum gage on the intake. Crack the throttle. The pressure should instantly rise (less vacuum). If you see a slow increase in pressure after that (>2 sec), that indicates an exhaust restriction.

The carb would be my next thought. Next time you have the exhaust pipe off, cut a hole and weld a bung for an O2 sensor. I put 2 bungs in to allow a wideband sensor and regular (to calibrate first). Without a sensor, you are flying blind. The only alternative is to inspect the spark plugs and guess "lean or rich". Try leaning the idle mixture since probably rich. Optimum for mileage is just before you get lean mis-fire. To lean it above idle, you must decrease the internal bleeds. Some people do that by coating the holes in their existing ones w/ solder.

Finally, check compression. A nice test kit is $15 on sale at H.F. Without one, remove the oil filler cap and the PCV valve, rev the engine, and note the blow-by gases coming out the valve cover that went past the piston rings. A lot of smoke is bad. Noticeable puffing might be one bad cylinder. You can also turn over the engine by hand (pull & push belt) and feel for 3 good cylinders compressing per rev.

Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. As others have mentioned, you will need to do some careful diagnosis and repair, paying careful attention to the distributor and carburetor. Along the way you may want to do some upgrades, such as the HEI upgrade .

It should not be necessary to re-engineer or modify your Holley 1920 carburetor -- leave the soldering, drilling, etc. for advanced tuning once you've got things working the way they're supposed to, otherwise you'll have no baseline to get back to and can wind up getting "lost". You may very well have a heavy carb float; they are made of nitrophyll (foam) and over the years they will absorb gasoline. Also, the brass retainer rings for the two power valve check balls can fall out of the metering block, dumping a ton of fuel into the engine at all times. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

Check and adjust the valve adjustment as well.

-
Back