poor shifting 727

-

dan5354

Reaction score
I don't know a lot about automatics in our cars. Mostly because all my years owning an a body nothing ever went wrong with my transmissions. I have bought a 67 Barracuda with a 383 and a 727. It shifts fine manually, but in drive it shifts very early and very harsh, like maybe a lot of overlap. I know somebody has been in there because one of the pan bolts is oversized from re-tapping to the larger size. I did change the fluid and filter when I first got it. I have adjusted the kickdown with both the WOT method and the method in the FSM with no luck. I also have noticed that there is a big blob of something like JB weld around around one of the cooling lines. I assume from unbending it from shipping (wondering if a restricted line could cause any of this). I don't know if they did a shift kit or changed the valve body, but again it shifts strong when I manually shift it. It does kickdown properly too.
My question is - where do I start?

I don't know a lot about automatics in our cars. Mostly because all my years owning an a body nothing ever went wrong with my transmissions. I have bought a 67 Barracuda with a 383 and a 727. It shifts fine manually, but in drive it shifts very early and very harsh, like maybe a lot of overlap. I know somebody has been in there because one of the pan bolts is oversized from re-tapping to the larger size. I did change the fluid and filter when I first got it. I have adjusted the kickdown with both the WOT method and the method in the FSM with no luck. I also have noticed that there is a big blob of something like JB weld around around one of the cooling lines. I assume from unbending it from shipping (wondering if a restricted line could cause any of this). I don't know if they did a shift kit or changed the valve body, but again it shifts strong when I manually shift it. It does kickdown properly too.
My question is - where do I start?
IMO, probably the line pressure has been changed, might be because of a shift kit..... Line pressure is adjustable, not just thru what is misnamed the kickdown linkage. High line pressure will give early hard shifts.... But you do not want low line pressure, burns stuff up...

we are talking - looking in the rearview mirror after a shift to see if there is anything laying on the street hard shifts though.

Install a part throttle kickdown valve from a 71 and up 904 and a lighter governor from a 340 or max wedge. Both of these will raise the shift RPM . The valve at low RPMs and governor at wide open throttle. Also turn the line pressure allen screw on the side of the valve body in 1/2 turn. All this can be done with the trans in the car. If the car has three piece throttle pressure linkage be sure it has the short lever on the trans. It will take a larger diameter rod as pictured. You can drill your long lever if needed but you will need to compensate for the different angle of the flat as the short lever is straight and the long one is angled.

DSCF2913.jpg

DSCF2914[1].jpg

-
Back