Poor suspension

-

MZimmerman

Reaction score
Hello all. So I have my 71 Plymouth Scamp on the road but every time I hit a bump the car bottoms out riding on the stops. I have adjusted the torsion bars nearly all the way. I have new ball joints and all underneath. When I pull up on the fender, it seems to pop and them assume its normal ride height until I hit another bump????

Any help would be great. Nothing seems to be sticking.

Hello all. So I have my 71 Plymouth Scamp on the road but every time I hit a bump the car bottoms out riding on the stops. I have adjusted the torsion bars nearly all the way. I have new ball joints and all underneath. When I pull up on the fender, it seems to pop and them assume its normal ride height until I hit another bump????

Any help would be great. Nothing seems to be sticking.
new shocks? could be the LCA bushings, the strut bar even? how new are your torsion bars?

New shocks, new t bars and new leaf springs are in your future and I'll wager new bushings and maybe a k frame reweld too

So... I have new upper and lower ball joints. The Car was completely dismantled K frame included and re-bushed. It got a real good rebuild. New Shocks. Converted to Disk Brakes. Torsion bars are original????? If that is a consensus I have no problem upgrading them. I just think its odd that this happens on both sides. I don't recall seeing the K frame broken or this happening when I bought the car but it literally went from the trailer and I drove it into the shop so I don't really have a pre-condition. Does anyone know if the torsion bars need pre-loaded when installing them. If I recall, when I took them out they pretty much slid out with the wheel hanging down.
My 1971 Valiant Build

Torsion bars are left side and right side. But it sound's more like maybe the shocks maybe sticking?

Are the sockets the rear of the torsion bars insert into rusted or rounded. The clunk when you lift up is odd

Torsion bars keepers are in good shape. Not rounded or rusted. It feels like the torsion bars are not eve there. Push down it stays down, pull up it stays up. I do have them in L &R as they are stamped.

Torsion bars keepers are in good shape. Not rounded or rusted. It feels like the torsion bars are not eve there. Push down it stays down, pull up it stays up. I do have them in L &R as they are stamped.
They’ve likely gone soft and need replacement

That’s what I’m wondering.
If everything else is fresh and the K-member isn’t broken, this is kinda the only variable.

You definitely wouldn’t be able to rule out fatigued torsion bars with a visual inspection.

Check if the end of the adjust screw is actually in the little socket of the adjust finger. The screw is in a floating self aligning nut. We have seen that screw go right past the little socket and/or blow though the outer wall of the socket. Adjustment works but doesn't work right.

This has happened to me. Car sat low, adjusted the bars upwards to a good ride height, a day or two later, the car is back where it was before, looooow riding. After the 3rd time, (2 times was actually enough!) I ordered new T bars. No more bottoming out, back to a good ride!

This has happened to me. Car sat low, adjusted the bars upwards to a good ride height, a day or two later, the car is back where it was before, looooow riding. After the 3rd time, (2 times was actually enough!) I ordered new T bars. No more bottoming out, back to a good ride!

I think this is your problem because I am having the same problem with my car. In process of new Tbar install, right now. I can’t wait to get it finished up so I can drive it.

638E0A24-BDC2-4BA4-8AAB-628C029CB10C.jpeg

-
Back