Pop pop on exhaust side

-
Ok my friends, I took a moment and used a piston stop tool . I rotated my engine by hand till it touched the piston and stopped. Made a mark on my balancer, then rotated it backwards and made a mark on my balancer , and well what ended being in the center is the top dead center mark I was using. So it is absolutely confirmed my markings are accurate. That being said the pop pop goes away above 45 advanced or more. It seems to hit a sweet spot after 50. Idling around 700-800. The vacuum reading is like 14 up there.

That sounds ridiculously advanced

Nope, not ridiculously advanced. Did you other to read the link I posted in post #30????

Yes Bewy I read it. It sounds like I may need a HEI type distributor or an adjustable box

Im gonna research that more

I think you first need to find out why idle vacuum is so low...& lower than expected for that cam. The low vac is why the idle timing needs to be so high. Idle vac is an indicator of engine efficiency at low rpms.
There can be many causes of low idle vac: faulty cam grind, cam lobes/lifters worn, cam installed in a retarded position, very low compression, valves leaking, air leaks etc.

SOLVED!

My MSD blaster 2 Coil was weak
Once I swapped it ,instantly stopped missing, and I was able to get the timing back down where it should be.

Bewy vacuum came up, it's at about 12 now
I'll recheck it soon

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all your responses

My MSD blaster 2 Coil was weak
Once I swapped it ,instantly stopped missing, and I was able to get the timing back down where it should be.
Yep, I have seen that exact same thing with a pulley change on the alternator not allowing the CDI to fire correctly causing what can be misinterpreted as a rich condition.

Half a volt was all it took to make it change the burn considerably.

I understand why people say =may die suddenly
A friend just told me he parked his car for winter and then his msd coil died too
Buy a Crane Hi-6 and PS92 coil and never look back. Swapped out the MSD for Crane and instantly it idled and ran better

Chadderbox,
Maybe I missed it. Are you using a MSD 6* box? If so, I do not believe low voltage would be the cause of the problem. The MSD instructions clearly state that it will deliver full voltage with a 9-18 supply voltage & will supply voltage with as low as 5 volts.

If you have a MSD RTR dist & are using it to fire the coil. That is an inductive ign system & they ARE voltage sensitive.

Don’t believe for a second that MSD will run on the voltage they say. I have seen cars flake out badly if you don’t have 12+ to the box.

Bewy it has two wires that go straight from the distributor into the msd 6 box. It's not a 6al
Just a plain 6 box. So yeah it would be voltage sensitive

Car has a brand new battery 2 months ago. And its always on a battery tender when I don't drive it. It hasn't shown low voltage.

I should have shown when I shake that failed blaster 2 coil you can hear the oil swishing inside. My other one makes no sound

When I was racing I loved msd box’s and power glides. Darn near any night at any track someone in my class popped a power glide or was walking thru the pits with a msd box in there hand, no finish, no points. I do know the newer glides are pretty much bulletproof, not sure about msd box’s.
They were both fast when they worked but……..

-
Back