Pop!

-

hangn0ut

Reaction score
Took my Dart to irwindale Thursday night TnT. It has stroked 440,Indy heads,intake,modest roller,T&D rockers,blah,blah. Make a pass,at the line about 175 degrees. Finish at about 185. Looking it over and I hear a sharp pop metallic noise. 5,10 more minutes hear it again. Can't find anything. Didn't look that hard. Cars running quicker each pass. Any ideas? Thanks.

Did it do this just sitting there not running? Might be just metal cooling off and moving around. Sometimes headers do that.

Yeah,just sitting cooling off. Sounded in the long block. Sharp pop. Maybe that's what it sounds like when valve spring tips snap?

If it's runnin fine, I kinda doubt that.

Its running good. Should just let it go. But this kind of stuff just gets under my skin.LOL.

493". Went 6.65@103. Figure it should go bottom 6s maybe a 5. Thru the mufflers. Planning on taking the 23t out next weekend to Fontana tnt. Blown alky hemi. Now I'am getting nervous.

Fairly sure I've found the cause of the popping noise. As the offset intake rockers open they maintain clearance with the spacers until the angled pushrod has enough lateral pressure to 'pop' it loose. Any body ever notice this happen? All parts are new. I run 20/50 castrol oil and have a .050 restrictor in the oil line for each head. (Indy 440-1) The restrictors raised the hot idle oil pressure from 30psi to 50.

-
Back