Popping behind !

-

karlkafer08

Reaction score
Hi everyone...my valiant has a popping sound coming from the back of the car when I go over speed bumps and stuff. I looked under the car and everything looks good...hardly any rust or even grime. I was thinking that it may be the shock bushes or something but from what I can see without taking them off they look good. Am I on the right track here though ? Or is there anything else that I might need to check out. Thanks for the help ....:-D

Does it make the same sound if you go over the bump slow? Can you be a little more descriptive than "popping"? Could it be something loose like the tailpipe hitting the rear panel, or hitting the trunk pan. Do you have anything loose in the trunk, jack handle or anything?
C

does the car have a pinion snubber? if the rubber is not there it will hit the floor pan and make a popping noise. good luck, and happy hunting.

Another one that might be a problem is rear spring bushing at the shackles. If they are gone that will definitely cause some popping.

Thanks for the reply fellas....my trunk is clean...and as of now it has no exhaust pipe..LOL....and the popping does happen regardless of speed...oh ya...if the car starts to lean in any direction..(ie a curve) ..it makes the same sound....To clarify..the popping sound only happens when the back suspension seems to be compressed under a load...thats why I thought it might have been a lack of rubber in the upper shock mounts..As always thanks for all the help.

You might want to try getting underneath the car and have some heavy friends bounce the rear of the car.

Just another suggestion......pull the rear shocks off the car and drive it to see if the noise is gone.

oh yea, if it is popping when you go around a corner, it may be axle bearings.jack the car up by the center of the rear end housing(bottom of the pumpkin) ,grab the tire and try to move the tire in and out, like your trying to push and pull the axle. see if it aint clunking. there are some good suggestions here. someone will give you the right answer here.

If you have a rear sway bar, check to see that the mounts on the frame are tight. I had one lose that bang or popped when I went over a bump in the road.

Thanks for the info fellas... I will check out these things and get back with you. How long can a rear end in these things last ?

well, if you don't constantly do pavement ripping burn outs it may last a lifetime. then again how can you not. 8.75 can go for at least 150,000. but i dont go that long between services. 30,000 sounds about right. my 7.25 has 218,000. i bought all the seals and bearings for the massive rebuild a couple weeks ago. the last major project left on the car. EVERYTHING else is new.

-
Back