POR 15 on body panels?

-

DARTDALE

Reaction score
Have any of yall used POR 15 on a body panel? I thought I had the rust on my roof killed out before I painted it,but not so as it is coming back and pushing off my 2 year old paint in a few spots. The Dart had a vinyl top before but I got rid of it. I am going to have to repaint and was wondering about POR on top of car.

I wouldn't use the regular black Por 15. They make a primer that works pretty good from what I have heard.

Media/sand blast and etch or epoxy prime the roof.

I wouldnt use POR15 on outside body panels

I have used it without any problems. BUT, it adhears better to rough surfaces better than smooth and needs to be topcoated so it doesn't discolor from UV exposure. They make a tie-coat primer that you can put over it just when its tacky and that will provide the tooth for the primer and topcoat. I have it on the blade of my plow truck and other than the sand/salt wearing it off, it holds up ptrretty well.

i would just use a rust converter that comes in a spray can u can get it at walmart i think its just called rust converter or one step b/c these are sandable

I used rust mort on the spots after I wire brushed the area,and yet it returned. I now have a media blaster and will probably use soda and some sort of more agressive media for the rusty spots. the rest of the paint is holding up really well ,so I shouldnt hav eto do much else where on the car.Thanks for the replies everyone!

i will be using por 15 in my engine compartment where it is rusty. i was thinking of using their high build primer after also. the por 15 will go on this weekend. i can let you know how it goes. i dont see why you couldnt use it, it says you can cover it with the topcoat of your choice.

ONLY way to "KILL" rust is to cut it out completely all the way to good metal and install a new piece of metal where you cut out the rust! I have never heard of anything that will kill it completely,you can make areas look better with some chemicals and cover it up to a point but it always comes back "ALWAYS"! If you want to completely get rid of the rust then "CUT" it out and "INSTALL" a new piece of metal! There are some great products that claim to KILL RUST! But it does not stop it, rust will return time and time again and just keep growing if not cut out. At least this has been my dealings with rust.

i agree. but last i checked no one makes a reproduction firewall for a 63 valiant. so sandblasting the crap out of it and covering it with paint is gonna have to be good enough for now.

ONLY way to "KILL" rust is to cut it out completely all the way to good metal and install a new piece of metal where you cut out the rust! I have never heard of anything that will kill it completely,you can make areas look better with some chemicals and cover it up to a point but it always comes back "ALWAYS"! If you want to completely get rid of the rust then "CUT" it out and "INSTALL" a new piece of metal! There are some great products that claim to KILL RUST! But it does not stop it, rust will return time and time again and just keep growing if not cut out. At least this has been my dealings with rust.

Well I have a steel bulkhead for my cellar stairs that I had to wire brush and paint every year. Back 99 i had some POR15 left over from my Barracuda so I decided to give it a try on the bulkhead. I knocked off the loose stuff and painted it with POR 15 and top coated that with red enamel.

Again that was back in 1999 and no rust has come through, I have worn off the top coat where I walk on the stairs but the POR15 is still holding up. So 9 years an counting of New England weather, I think that is a great testment to the POR products. BTW, everywhere I used POR on the Barracuda it still holding up with no rust coming through but the car is garaged and doesn't see winter roads.

-
Back