POR-15 paint

-

EvilScamp

Reaction score
Anybody use it?
How well does it hold up?
I was thinking of using it to do the suspension components on my Duster.

I would like to have the stuff powder-coated but no one around this area does it. :(

I used it on the floor pan of my GN. Worked pretty good I think. I had heavy surface rust, so I used a 4-1/2" angle grinder with a wire brush to knock off all the scale. Then prep'd with their marine clean and etch. The POR-15 brushed on smooth with a foam brush and it dried glass smooth. Nearly three years later, it is still rust free. If you use it on anything that is exposed to sunlight, you will need to paint over it with something that is UV resistant. Otherwise, it will fade.

Thanks GD :D
I'm planning on using it on the suspension and maybe some other under chassis places including the inside of the new trunk floor extensions, :)

Just don't get it on your skin, or you'll be wearing it for at least a week. :lol:

I would recommend one coat of POR-15 followed by one coat of their chassis black. The POR I used is a very high gloss. The chassis black is supposed to be more of a satin finish that looks very OEM like.

Yes That stuff is great. Prep work is easy, it adheres to rust and STOPS IT. No kidding about staying on skin either. Wear gloves. A weak was an understatement, probably closer to a month if you get a lot on you. Had a buddy with black fingers for weeks. I love the statement on my can of it. Says adheres permantly, and we DO know what permantly means! Great for chassis stuff, very chip resistant and very little uv rays under there!

Thanks guys. :D

I used other chassis paint before from PM Industries,not a bad paint just not very impressed with it's rust resistance.

If you look in my personal album, the whole front end of my Duster was painted with por 15. If you put it on too thick you might have a problem with solvent pop (those tiny bubbles that seem to appear out of nowhere). Definately top coat it if the sun will be hitting the part you paint. I had one area that the sun got to and in about two months it was dull and chalky. I just spray it with industrial black enamel when the por 15 is tacky.

If you use the POR-15 do not take the rust off. Paint over it. If you are doing a NON rusty part use the chasis stuff. I did my jeep frame and the cuda with it and it works great. Just don't let it drip on your forehead and not realize it.

BARRACUDA340S said:
If you use the POR-15 do not take the rust off. Paint over it. If you are doing a NON rusty part use the chasis stuff. I did my jeep frame and the cuda with it and it works great. Just don't let it drip on your forehead and not realize it.
eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :( :? :x

They are making the POR-15 in a uv resistant formula now too. don't know what the cost difference is though.

-
Back