Por 15 ????

-

SleeperScamp

Reaction score
Whats the scoop on this stuff ???? Any better alternatives ???? Thanks..

I love it!

Just knock off the scale rust with a wire brush and paint the Por 15 over. I have taken suspension parts down to bare metal, hit them with the hose and left them outside until they got a nice covering of rust so I could use the Por 15 on them

Wear gloves and clothes that you don't care about. I use the 2 or 4 inch cheap throw away brushes to paint it on.

That and eastwood are some of the best stuff as far as rust encapsulators go. The nice thing about the eastwood stuff is that you can get it in a spray can.

That and eastwood are some of the best stuff as far as rust encapsulators go. The nice thing about the eastwood stuff is that you can get it in a spray can.

yup the best stuff on the market....

IMO each has its place. Por 15 is some good stuff, but has the tendecy to gass. you have to work the sh** out of a brush to work these bubbles out. If you do`nt, moisture can enter in these tiny holes and you figure the rest. I`d say thin and spray this stuff on but never tried it yet. I like 15 for battery trays, And used on floor boards of a 68 ford beater, cause I`m too lazy to fix glass and wiper gasket leaks:-D still holding good since 95. BUT I still prefer Eastwoods, easier to apply, sticks to new steel, has a rubbery texture compared to rock hard of 15, but can be damaged easier. both are good and have their places8)

Sounds like the Eastwood's would probably be better for what I need it for ... I like the ease of use with the aerosol.. Thanks for the input....:cheers:

I disagree: http://forum.eastwoodco.com/showthread.php?t=8356

I don't use rust converters/encapsulaters very often. I prefer to remove the rust when ever possible or feasible.

I totally agree! I just spent a few hrs cutting out and patching thin metal in the floors of the 48.

Just for my own curiosity what ever became of that project, did you take them up on their offer or did you do something else to the floors of your buddies car? By the way I love your work on the superbird on your web page.

Hey guys, may I ask here...is there a primer that can be left without paint? And how long would it last till it rusts if any...I though I heard somewhere that there is such a primer, not sure...thanks!

Just for my own curiosity what ever became of that project, did you take them up on their offer or did you do something else to the floors of your buddies car?

Their offer was some roloc wheels to re-prep the areas. Real good customer service :thebirdm:

I've kept my promise though, I send everyone I can to that link and let them decide. The really sad part is that from what I saw the area that is peeling was rust free, lightly blasted metal.

Oh, ya. I re-preped it with some sanding to get the loose stuff off and used Chassis Saver (cheaper por stuff). It survived winter just fine so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Hey guys, may I ask here...is there a primer that can be left without paint? And how long would it last till it rusts if any...I though I heard somewhere that there is such a primer, not sure...thanks!

About the only real automotive primer that can be left without paint for an extended period of time is two part epoxy. However, like most primers, it is not UV resistant so it will eventually break down from exposure to the elements.

FWIW, here is the Q&A sheet from the POR-15 I recently bought.

02.jpg

I have used Por 15 on many occasions for automotive and industrial uses and it has held up. but I live in sunny California so the weather is not to harsh. I have also used some stuff from rustolium (sp) that you spray on clear and it is supposed to turn black but it never did so Im not sure how well it worked since that car is now gone

I believe cut and replace is generally the best long-term solution to rust/cancer. Where that's not practical or you just want protection from future rust then I'm a fan of Zero Rust and Eastwood Rust Encapsulator.

If you're considering coatings of this type then this may be an interesting read from guys who paint and restore:

http://www.autobodystore.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11872

-
Back