Porsche 928s

-

65Vart

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy one.
Not an easy chore with lots of crappy money pits out there but I think I found a good one, and its an earlier car not an S4.
1981 928S Euro car (they didn't import 928S cars in 1981)
Larger 4664cc/ 300hp/ 5 speed STICK car (rare stick car)
complete service history
timing belt, water pump, clutch etc.
performance upgrades , Borla exhaust etc
Cup 2 wheels
I figure I can drive it for a couple of summers and flip it. Owner shipping the car to Europe in August if its not sold.
I am familiar with all 928 horror stories as well as 15 years of research. I'm having a Porsche shop run the VIN to verify if its a true EuroS car
any opinions (positive and negative )

Attachments

• 9281.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 245
I had a friend that bought a similar car in the late 80's.

All the limited research I've done suggests that they are a cheap porsche to get into but perhaps a not so cheap one to get out of.

They are another car that falls into the "labor of love" category.

I personally like them.

I'm a v8 RWD guy all the way, and that's rare in the porsche world.

I've seen super nice ones for under 5K lately.

No way would I try to flip one though.

I 've owned 7 928s over the years and enjoyed them all. My favourite was the 88 S4. Small group of interested people in Ontario and I always ended up selling stateside. Sounds like you have done your homework so the only advice I can give is to only buy a car you really love because you could end up married to it for a long time. I just sold an 86 944 turbo car which I actually liked better than the 928s.

Well it is a roll of the dice. I think they are awesome cars but I would save my coin for the 911 just my .02
I hear you on the 911, Ive wanted an air cooled car for a long time but the prices have sky rocketed. You cant touch a decently sorted one here for less than 40K.

one thing ive come to realize over the years is this: there is a reason this car is for sale
(and personally I would be slightly alarmed by the statement the seller is sending it back to Europe if it doesn't sell by august, that should tell you something about the market you are planning on flipping it in)

having said that, let me ask you this, how much would you be willing to spend to rent this car?
$300.00 ? (that wouldn't get you a ford focus for a week)
so lets say $250 to rent it
buy it tomorrow and drive it for 12 weeks, that would cost you $3000.00 if you would rent it

so consider what it would cost you to buy it, title, tags and what not and deduct $3000.00 from that
as long as you sell it for more then that it would have been worth it

If it's a "grey market" car I would stay away from it, I've heard way too many horror stories about those. If, on the other hand, it was imported recently as a 'toy' it should be OK. As others have pointed out, price and availability of parts can be a problem, and don't expect huge returns on this mostly unloved Porsche. Good luck.

X3 on the 911.

You can still find SC's that are running and driving but needing some work for around 20-25K.
I mention SC because IMO that is the best of the "driver" Porsche's from the air cooled era.

They are bullet proof, brilliantly designed and easy to work on with simple tools. I don't believe in the reliability or the resale value of a 928 so I would pass. Pass on 944 and 914 models as well.

A true 911 will only continue to increase in value and dollar for dollar it's one of the most exciting cars to drive ever built. IMO :D

They look goofy when the headlights pop up, kinda reminds me of fraggle rock.

One word: ALUMINUM.

Check the chassis VERY WELL.

I've know 3 people that had 928's 2 since new, and bolting them back together again even few thousand miles was one comment I heard from all three of those guys at one time or another.
I've never owned one so that's second hand information, but it was common to all three owners, so you take that as you please.

Engine and trans didn't seem to ever be a topic of complaint with any of them, though.

But again, there are those here locally who wonder why I would want a 60's era Dodge. Detroit engineering is simple compared to those pesky Germans. "Why use 1 part when 7 will do?"

At least they share their love of the torsion bar and uni-body construction.

In reality they are both designed to be simple inexpensive to build and to maintain machines.

-
Back