Ported Throttle Body

-

5.7 hemi

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was just crusing ebag and see all sorts of ls1 ported tb's going from 40 bucks to 130 bucks. So this begs the ?, WTF are the mopar vendors doing??? Why are ours sooooo much more??? There is no sane reason for it, other than "lets see how far we go up in price before people start complaining". Can anyone shed some light on this?? I think we are getting ripped a new one!!

I don't see much use in a ported throttle body. The LS guys will tell you it's mostly for throttle response, not hp gains. Unless you add to the size of the blade, it really isn't doing a whole lot. So anything more than $40-$125 is kinda crazy.

That being said, I do like larger throttle bodies. I've got a 90mm cable driven I'll be using, and I opened my intake to match.

I think it's probably a volume issue. Not that there aren't literally a million Hemis already on the road, but when you think about the aftermarket there are tons of LS engines being used out there for all sorts of things and they're used in far more cars. You figure you have to make back tooling costs for a new product, so you work it into the price. The LS guys can expect to sell 10,000 units day 1 while the Mopar guys will only maybe sell 1,000. Given time you would think the price might drop if enough people start buying them, but it's a bit of a catch 22. You have to buy them for the price to go down, but if they're stupid expensive to start with no one is going to buy them.

I totally agree with you though, Mopar stuff is just expensive unfortunately. On the plus side, it does seem to be going down I think. A year or two ago you'd have a hard time finding a junkyard Hemi under $2000, now you can pick them up under $1500 pretty easily I think. I still can't believe the ridiculous price tag for the junk Mopar carb intake. $800 for something that doesn't even make good power? Same with the XV piece to some extent.

So they are claiming a ported TB is better for throttle response? Oookaaaay...Do these LS TB's have the IAC built in or are they like Fords, just a big oval with a butterfly? Seems that would be an almost universal piece. Hey, at least we are not fixated on AMC motors...talk about lack of interest! think of us like Apple computer owners, 10% of the market and all of us are rabid fans..and once you try us, there is no going back to a PC, er..GMC/Ford, and all our stuff is triple what a PC/GMC part cost.

So they are claiming a ported TB is better for throttle response? Oookaaaay...Do these LS TB's have the IAC built in or are they like Fords, just a big oval with a butterfly? Seems that would be an almost universal piece. Hey, at least we are not fixated on AMC motors...talk about lack of interest! think of us like Apple computer owners, 10% of the market and all of us are rabid fans..and once you try us, there is no going back to a PC, er..GMC/Ford, and all our stuff is triple what a PC/GMC part cost.
damn your logic now I can't be mad at apple for the price I gotta pay for my new iphone.

Cable operate LS style throttle bodies have the throttle position switch TPS and Idle Air Control AIC built-in, they are not simply throttle plate.

As both a Mac user and a Mopar guy, [side note- I now understand completely why I am always broke ;) ] What I have found with both the Mac and Mopar stuff is that yes, our stuff does tend to more expensive, BUT it also tends to be of higher quality. It goes back to the old adage, "You get what you pay for."

Regards,

Joe Dokes

-
Back