Pos Chebby Starters

-

momoparman

MOISMYHOME
Reaction score
http://www.jegs.com/i/Powermaster/713/9513/10002/-1

POS ALERT.

Never use this on your MOPAR!.

Lasted 3 starts and shelled out....weighs 10OZ....feels like the windings are made out of bread bag ties.

Anyone have a better starter idea other than a Ma Mopar Mini Starter please let me know.....I got a MMS from a buddy so I plan on reinstalling it tommorow unless someone has something better.

Mop

What is the compression ratio of your motor?

Most of the mini starters (Mopar) are rated up to 12:1 compression.

I'm running a Ram/Dakota style mini starter I bought off of e-bay 5 yrs. ago on my 10 to 1 360 and haven't had a minutes worth of trouble out of it.

Like I said......don't hate me....I still don't know what made me do it....It's bad enough that I have a chebby alternator in the car.

A nice gentleman who has his 65 B Body in the shop offered me his MMS so we can move forward today.

Thanks for the responses and thanks Gaylen.

Mop

Like I said......don't hate me....I still don't know what made me do it....It's bad enough that I have a chebby alternator in the car.

A nice gentleman who has his 65 B Body in the shop offered me his MMS so we can move forward today.

Thanks for the responses and thanks Gaylen.

Mop

I for one don't hate you. In fact I appreciate the FB on it so now I know never to use one. One thing that I'm curious about though is why you consider it a Chevy starter since it's made by Powermaster. Are they owned by GM or something?

Oh yeah, a buddy of mine who is a chevy guy had one on a 406 in his vette and it was junk too. Would barely start a 10 to 1 comp. 406. It did last longer than yours though, lucky for him.

I have always associated Powermaster as Chebby stuff.....am I wrong?

It's still junk......I ended up with a Summit Mopar Clone/Rebuilder......The MP one had a 2 week wait.....I can't wait 2 more weeks.

Mop

The one I got for free was worn out....good for a low comp engine but once it got warmed up it would not crank mine.

Mop

I have always associated Powermaster as Chebby stuff.....am I wrong?

I thought they are just an aftermarket company who makes parts for allot of manufacturers like Comp cams, Hooker, etc.

It's still junk......I ended up with a Summit Mopar Clone/Rebuilder......The MP one had a 2 week wait.....I can't wait 2 more weeks.

Mop

Don't surprise me it's junk after the one my buddy had that was supposed to be rated at 3 hp and would barely crank his 10 to 1 comp. 406

Waiting sucks but I bet if you look around you can find a Mopar one. Everybody can't be out of them.

I used one yaers ago... I think it was a McLeod.. It didnt fit for crap. I used an MP mini on the same 12.5:1 440 and it stayed there until i sold the car. I now run the MP's exclusively. I'd rather have a new one and I dont really trust the offshore clones. It's not much more money and I have never had one fail out of 5 or 6 I use(d). The stock used ones are just as good. I just get nervous about it myself so I go new. I get mine from Mancini Racing.

I have heard good things about this MSD and it is a direct fit.....no flanges or special AL adapters to get it in.

It looks just like a MP starter so I wonder if they use the MP housings and guts and then just paint them red or if they have there own castings and guts.......hmmmmm.

I wanted a MP starter but needed it Fri A.M.

I got stuck.

MOP

I got a brand new(used)mini-starter out of a 89 Dakota at the scrapyard for $40.It,s on my 360 now,works great!

Got mine from the local NAPA. '93 Dak 318. In stock,brand new(not rebuilt),so no core.$90.00, been spinning my 10:1 470" for 5 yrs. See no reason for the fancy name brand unit of the week!

Yup.... Any auto parts store and you can get one the same day (or off the shelf) Another $5 for a can of red spray paint and it would look cool like the $200+ MSD one.

I will say this....I looked at both starters side by side and the MSD is constructed better....by far.

Not knocking the stocker....I guess I'm tryin to justify bending over:bootysha:

:-DMop

-
Back