POS GM G-Body!

-

JoeDust451

Reaction score
Its been awhile, but i figured i'd vent on the mopar board, Heck its a GM bashing thing lol, I decided to build a GM this time around, found a fairly clean 78 Cutlass 2 years ago, Installed a 406 sbc, well wasn't fast enough, sooooo i went & built a 469 BBC, Installed a 9" with a spool & 3.73 gears, PTC 3000 stall, Car runs great, They problem is it has shaking in it at speed i can't for the life of me get rid of, i have done it ALL, from front end all the way back, going over & over till i'm blue in the face, I'm sick of it, Has anyone ever had shacky GM cars in there time, maybe the Mopars guys might have some ideas.

What is the question?

This shaking is normal

I'd start with the u-joints and pinion angle then work your way forward.
This will sound silly but measure the diameter of the rear tires,
use a taylors tape making sure the tires are the same pressure.

Are you talking about a "floating" feeling at speeds over ~110 mph? If so it's the design of all the g bodies. You'll have to airdam the front of the car and maybe drop the frontend 2" or so to help.

More info. Under acceleration, quit in neutral, tried swapping tires

I'd start with the pinion angle

I agree. When I was at GM dealers in the mid/late 80's, even many of the luxo cruisers had this issue. We even had factory bulletins with different length control arms to try and cure that problem. Not sure if it's relevant in your situation, but I'd look there first. There are adjustable uppers available in the aftermarket if you need to do some tweaking.

-
Back